Anyone had issues with mangrove jacks m20 yeast crapping out at 1.020?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is lowish attenuation 70-75% with M20 & M21.
The issue I had was that I started at roughly 1.050 and it went down to 1.020, which is a 60% atteuation. If it had been 70-75 I would have known it was expected. As I said, the M21 restarted and finished as expected, but for a variety of reasons, I bottled the one fermented with M20 at 1.020.

Even if it is not a problem with the yeast and it's just the way it behaves, I'll probably try something that is a little easier to work with in future.

A little update on this- so I pitched some mj m29 yeast on Thursday and within hours the yeast cake had disappeared from the bottom and gone back into suspension. I was expecting things to kick off a bit more from this point but nope… right now all that’s going on is the yeast is still in suspension and the beer is very cloudy (cloudier than before) and the hydrometer has stayed at 1.020.
I had thought that perhaps this was a lag phase from the m29 yeast but now I dunno what’s going on 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• F40F7E50-4382-42F2-91F4-640EEE57BFCD.jpeg
    F40F7E50-4382-42F2-91F4-640EEE57BFCD.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3765E984-6CD0-43EA-9A1A-461D653B16A2.jpeg
    3765E984-6CD0-43EA-9A1A-461D653B16A2.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4DDC9E97-D943-4A20-842E-6C7D3696548F.jpeg
    4DDC9E97-D943-4A20-842E-6C7D3696548F.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
I wonder whether there may be bubbles clinging to your hydrometer and giving a false reading?

I like your thinking, I’m gonna take a small sample out using a turkey baster to check flavour later so will give the hydrometer a nudge too
I was bottling this morning and put a sample in the cylinder straight out of the fermenter. It was reading 1.015Ish. then I gave it a spin and it actually read 1.007.

Though I wouldn't expect your brew to be materially different to your previous brews when taking a reading from inside the fermenter

Hi guys bit of an update here- so it’s finally got down to 1.012 with the addition of that MJ saison yeast addition. The temp is currently sat at 26.9c and has been here for around a week. It’s clearing but very slowly, I plan on bottling in the next 4 days or so- would it be wise for me to now stop the temp to around 22c to help it clear quicker or should I be leaving it at 26.9c until I bottle and then putting the bottles in a 27-28c cabinet to carbonate?

Hi guys bit of an update here- so it’s finally got down to 1.012 with the addition of that MJ saison yeast addition. The temp is currently sat at 26.9c and has been here for around a week. It’s clearing but very slowly, I plan on bottling in the next 4 days or so- would it be wise for me to now stop the temp to around 22c to help it clear quicker or should I be leaving it at 26.9c until I bottle and then putting the bottles in a 27-28c cabinet to carbonate?

Don't chill it. Keep it warm until finished. Don't bottle until it's totally done, zero change in gravity for about 4 days.

Cheers, I’m guessing keeping the bottle cabinet at a similar temp would be the best idea too?
Anyone got an idea of a maximum co2 volume I can manage in a typical brown 500ml ale bottle before I get bombs?
Obviously being a hefe weiss it calls for high carb but really dont want to risk explosions, I don’t have any duvel or Belgian bottles.

Cheers, I’m guessing keeping the bottle cabinet at a similar temp would be the best idea too?
Anyone got an idea of a maximum co2 volume I can manage in a typical brown 500ml ale bottle before I get bombs?
Obviously being a hefe weiss it calls for high carb but really dont want to risk explosions, I don’t have any duvel or Belgian bottles.
I would have a guess that they can take 3-4 volumes. Maybe more, but I never plan on testing that. I think there are threads here or on another forum where they have destruction tested bottles.

Standard bottles could probably handle up to about 3.5 volumes CO2. But personally I wouldn't go more than about 2.8. I hate gushers.

Latest posts

Back