Anyone know their bikes ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a new bike after my trusty 20 year old mountain bike has started to literally fall apart...

Its a whole new world out there with all these hybrids, most of my riding is on roads with some unmade roads, tracks in woods etc - so these seem quite sensible being set up for both but mostly road.

I think I have it down to these few which I now want to find in my frame size so I can try

Ridgeback velocity

Ridgeback cyclone

Giant Escape 3

Giant Roam 3

By my reckoning the Ridgebacks look to be better spec for the money but I really am a bike novice and am sure if one bit looks better then something else is worse :wha: .

Anyone who knows more got any advice / help for me please ?

Thanks
Paul

Good point - but they are more for helping shed the beer related weight :whistle:

I got a Trek 7.3 FX hybrid for work and back, and tootling around on days off. Love it. ;)

Got a couple of Ridgebacks for the kids and they are very nice and well specced for the price. When She and I need to replace our Dawes Hybrids it will be Ridgebacks for us . . . . Although I do like look of the Boardman Carbon Road bike in Halfords . . . Incredibly well specced for the price :shock:

I'm in a similar situation. I have a Raliegh Scorpion mountain bike which my parents bought for £120 when I was 12 in 1988!

it's not been looked after that well recently, and to replace the chain, gears, brakes, and all associated wrong things, would cost about £200.

A new bike is on the horizon.

maybe I could rig the old one up to my apple scratter...

Sorry, don't know a thing about the whole hybrid bike type thing.

I've just recently bought one of these:
http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-023-12
In fact, I've spent the morning out on it around local woodland and stream beds. Great fun. Great bike. Hard work on the road commute though, even with the suspension locked out, perfect down the muddy canal banks though.

I'm using the cycle to work scheme, so have to go direct, but get a nice saving :thumb:

An excellent scheme.

So far I've had a Kona Blast MTB, a Felt F95 racer and a Marin Lombard cyclocross out of it. Haven't decided what to get this year :cool:

jamesb said:
An excellent scheme.

So far I've had a Kona Blast MTB, a Felt F95 racer and a Marin Lombard cyclocross out of it. Haven't decided what to get this year :cool:

nice work !!

What about a 29er mountain bike with an extra set of wheels with slicks on - Best of Both worlds.

I have an ORANGE P7 PRO steel framed hardtail mountain bike and its a beautiful ride, comfiest bike I have ever ridden
:thumb:

Pretty much decided on the Velocity I think - took one for a ride yesterday and it flies compared to my old bike :thumb:

Also looks tough enough to deal with the offroad I do which is cutting across the odd field or down unmade farm tracks / roads.

If I want to go further off then there is always next years scheme.. :whistle:

Back