I have a drinking issue and need some assitance.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My issue is the reasonable amount of time thing.. These days im a 2 L on a Saturday kinda drinker, but I want to maximise how many brewdays I can get in in a year, hence the smaller batches, what I want to avoid is buying brew kit and only getting 2 or 3 brewdays a year. Id ratehr make smaller batches more often, if you get my drift.

That did make a lot of sense. Learning, testing and variety 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

And of bottling really isn't your thing. Don't even try have a dozen. Brew to small keg size, and then just keep a pop bottle, with a gas top for any miscalculations.

Taking the thread at a slight 90 degree.
Assuming a 19 l corny is purged l. And the beer is pressure transfered into the corny.
Is there any drawbacks to having a 10l brew and 9l worth of gas under pressure. ?

My instinct is that may work. As you end up wi more gas than beer in a keg as you drink it.

If this optikn was a goer and as 19l cornys are the same price as 9.5 and it would give me the option of doing the odd bigger batch for the summer barbie etc

Assuming a 19 l corny is purged l. And the beer is pressure transfered into the corny.
Is there any drawbacks to having a 10l brew and 9l worth of gas under pressure. ?

My instinct is that may work. As you end up wi more gas than beer in a keg as you drink it.

If this optikn was a goer and as 19l cornys are the same price as 9.5 and it would give me the option of doing the odd bigger batch for the summer barbie etc
That was literally what I was typing when you posted that. Go for 19l if you have space for them. Then you avoid any bottling of residual as that is annoying.

I see your logic but as I absolutley hate bottling Id want to keep it to the bare minimum.. i could just about cope with filling half a dozen pet bottles.

Frontline experience is worth a thousand opinions in my book.. So the Jury is in, small 10L batches, small 8/9L kegs which are quantaties I can keep up with... bottle condition any excess from the fermenter, once the keg has been filled, and give it away to friends.

Im assuming from your post that bottle conditioned tends to have a longer shelf life than kegged?
Regular beers canned or bottled generally have 180 days /six months best before date , bottle conditioned beers eg Belgian Ales have a couple of years best before date , and many drink them after that time has elapsed , presuming that the cap is still sealed, they're still good to drink . The bottle conditioning scavenges any oxygen introduced through packaging.

Sounds like you want to have a similar setup to what I have. 3 taps, one usually nitro 2 co2 with a mix of styles. I’ve got 4 19l, 2 9.5l and 2 5l kegs. I like to small batch for stronger or let’s say more interesting beers but have found that I almost always use the 19l kegs! I regularly make 15l batches (pressure fermented) and put it in the 19l kegs with no issues. I like the closed transfer approach to a co2 filled kegs either with a pressure or a standard fermenter (psudo closed transfer) to make sure of no oxidation. I’m not completely convinced it makes a difference as in the past I’ve had old kegs of beer, sometimes kits that have been great even after a year in the keg.

I use my smaller kegs for taking to friends houses mainly as they are easier to transport and fit in a trolley cooler I have.

I abrolutley hate bottling even with a beer gun.. Although no rinse sanitizers these days may make that less onerous than I found it back in the day ..
I believe that over time bottling is a better storage method than kegging. If I had a beer engine I would more than happily cask but again I doubt the beer would stay as fresh... might finish it sooner though 🤣

Regular beers canned or bottled generally have 180 days /six months best before date , bottle conditioned beers eg Belgian Ales have a couple of years best before date , and many drink them after that time has elapsed , presuming that the cap is still sealed, they're still good to drink . The bottle conditioning scavenges any oxygen introduced through packaging.
Depends what you call regular? Any well made , properly bottled and well kept beer at 5% will last more than a year in a bottle and still be good to drink.

…and so the slippery slope is laid out before you.😂

The only minor disadvantage is the extra CO2 it takes to fill the head space - which of course you could just fill with beer! 🤔😉

Back