APA Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHarkness

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm about to embark on my first brew, I have calculated my IBUs for the hops element of my recipe, using Cascade for bittering and a blend of Citra and Wai-Iti for aroma and dry hopping, but I have a question or two regarding the malt. I'm looking for the lightest malt option as I am not a fan of overly malty flavours in my beer.

I am using a 30l fermenter and a batch of probably 25l. I am wondering if I can use spraymalt exclusively in place of grain, and if so roughly how much I would need in order to get a final ABV of about 4.x? I ordered 500g but I now know I have not ordered enough, I think somewhere around 3kg would be appropriate from what I have read. The brand I have is Muntons Extra Light. Also, if I was to do my boil in a smaller pan I assume I can water down the wort to the appropriate level? Is there a limit as to what proportion of the overall batch is boiled with the malt and hops as my pan is nowhere near 25l?

Thanks

e2a I have one pack of US05 yeast, will one be sufficient?

Malt wise I would use 3kg of the Muntons Extra Light and steep 300g of Crystal 40, this will keep it light still but add some flavor and color.

Cascade is typically used for aroma/flavor but being you are extract brewing just go shorter boil times and add more :)

Since the gravity will be under 1.050 1 pack of US-05 will work well great yeast for a APA, what I use.

Boiling with a smaller pot is fine this is what I would do

1) Add 300g of Crystal 40 to a muslin bag.
2) Once the water gets to 76c pull the grains
3) At boil turn off the heat, add 3kg of Muntons Extra Light adding slowly then add 70g of Cascade
4) Turn the heat back on and boil for 5 min and add a pinch of Irish Moss
5) Boil for 5 min adding 35g of Citra & 35g of Wai-Iti
6) Boil 5 more minutes and kill the heat and cool. Top off with purified bottled water till your at 25l

70g

Back