Apple country wine fermentation not starting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawley

Reaction score
I was working at a farmers house and came home armed with a bag of Apples and a bag of plums so I decided to make some wine , my problem is that the Apple brew fermentation is not starting :-( .
Both batches were prepared the same way , I cored the apples and removed most of the blotches on the skin I could see , filled up my barrel almost to the top , then used boiling water to cover the Apples just over , also in went 2 juiced lemons , 300 g of chopped sultanas and a cup of cold tea , and then a packet of wine yeast from Wilkinson's .
The Plum wine is fermenting away nicely , I even thought of adding the apple brew and plums together but wanted to ask others thoughts first in case I spoil the lot
Any ideas please
Thanks in advance

Still no fermentation , moved it to a warmer spot , any ideas greatly appreciated :-)

did you give it a good shoogle as well ?, worked for me last time I had a slow starter (in addition to upping the heat)

Are you measuring this or are you relying on the airlock to see if it is fermenting, what are you making it in?

Just can't see any bubbles , its still in a big fermentation bucket so I will give it a good old mix up , cheers for the ideas

Panic over , it smells like it is starting to brew now :-)
I just chopped the apples up after taking the bad bits off and they all look quite whole still but the liquid is looking a nice golden yellow colour now , should I take the apples out and squish them up to get more juice out or just leave it be ?
Thanks

Back