Aquarium Heater advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks, was looking at buying an aquarium heater to sit my FV's in a water bath to keep a constant temp. I've found this one one ebay, does it look ok? I notice the seller has them at all different wattage, which one should I go for? Is it just as easy as plug in, submerge in water bath, set adjustable temp and thats that?
link -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-150-20...UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item905c6103aa

It is that simple yes. Can't see the link but I would say you want about 100w or something that can heat about 60L

100w will do but for the sake of 30p I'd get the 150w. It will get you to your optimum temps quicker! For another quid you could even go 250w. Any of those will do tbh.

ive checked another listing on ebay and it gives this guide
25 watt is suitable for aquariums containing up-to 25 litres (7 gal)

50 watt is suitable for aquariums containing up-to 50 litres (13 gal)

100 watt is suitable for aquariums containing up-to 100 litres (25 gal)

150 watt is suitable for aquariums containing up-to 135 (15-30 gal)

if i get a 100 or 150watt heater, they are meant to heat 25 gallons plus according to the above, i obviously wont be sitting my FV in that much water, its not going to overheat or go higher than what heat ive set the thermostat to is it?

What oz11 said...
The link you gave doesn't mention the temp range.
I have one that goes no lower than 21, which is kind of the highest you want for brewing.
Depending how many demijohns you have in your waterbath, you'll likely find you don't ever have more than 30litres in it, so you only really need a small heater.
Unless you lose a lot of heat out the top, of course.
The bigger ones may be more electrically efficient, too, not that they cost more than pennies to run anyway.

Back