Are my O.G/F. G's okay?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froidy

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I recently bottled a Coopers Real Ale with extra Fuggles hops. The O.G was 1.048 but after two weeks in the primary still only had a F.G of 1.020? I'm trying to work our my ABV for this and it should be more as I used 1kg DME and 200g Dextrose, brewed to 23lt with Safale S-04 yeast. Temperature has been consistent between 18-21 (very occasionally 22) any advice? Also I have just bottled a Coopers Dark Ale with an O.G of 1.044
F.G of 1.014 using 500g dark malt, 250g light malt, 250g dried corn syrup, 200g dextrose, brewed to 21lt using Safale S-04 yeast. Have used all types of abv calculators but they all seem to be different and most tell me my ABV is around 3.8% surely this can't be right? I'm confused haha :) i'm using the new Coopers DIY fermenter.

Also anyone ever added hops to a Coopers Draught or Mexican Cervesa kit? Looking at brewing either of these today and have some Cascade aroma hops in the fridge but didn't know how they would go?

Thanks all!

Leigh

your 2nd brew should be 4% and is about right a tad high fg but your 1st brew wasn't finished and are possible bottle bombs , they will foam over when opened if they don't go bang .Test 1 after a few days/week to check .

pittsy said:
your 2nd brew should be 4% and is about right a tad high fg but your 1st brew wasn't finished and are possible bottle bombs , they will foam over when opened if they don't go bang .Test 1 after a few days/week to check .

Thanks Pittsy,
I'm actually drinking that 1st brew now and it's quite good? Just cracked a couple last night! The bottles (PET) did feel pretty hard though ;) I checked the readings on two separate hydrometers so I know it was right. I wonder why it was taking so long to drop?
Also I'm surprised my 2nd brew is only 4%? After all I had 1kg regular fermentables then added 200g dextrose AND brewed it short (21lts) any ideas how I can boost my alcohol a bit without harming the flavour too much? Looking for something more around 5%
Thanks for your help!
Cheers :smile:

Latest posts

Back