are my OG,S too high? on ribenna wine and vimto wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumbrian brewer

Reaction score
I have just finished brewing cherry vimto wine with OG of 1140. and ribenna wine OG is 1112

I used the following
600ml cherry vimto
1l red grape juice
2 tea bags in water cooled down
1 1/2 lime juice
1 1/2 lemon juice
1.5kg sugar

heated it up to 80 deg and topped up with water. reading 1140

600ml ribena
1 1/2 lemons juice
1 1/2 limes juice
2 tea bags in water cooled down
1.5kg sugar

heated up to 80 degs and topped up with water

Have I over done the sugar? I havent added the yeast yet its still cooling down will this effect the OG?

HELP PLEASE :wha:

im no pro but that does seem like alot of sugar! Is it for 1Gal? Are your OG compensated for temperature? if they are than your OG shouldnt change when cooled.

if your brews finished at .990 than it would be about 19%abv

even if it finished 1030 it would give you finished product of 14.6%abv but with a very sweet taste.

Perhaps dilluting into larger volumes will be the best way forward?

temp was about 30 when i took OG will it go up or down. If its going to be 19% i might leave it should be fun to drink bonfire night :thumb:

Should i take another reading now its dropped to about 20c?

That's a fair bit of sugar like but i have done this once, you have two options....you can let it ferment out and get a really strong brew or you can monitor your hydrometer rating and work out a % your aiming for and use stabiliser when it reaches that mark and have a sweet brew. I went for the second option and the other half is a fan of it :thumb:

Cheers

Marrsy

cool thanks I have got the sum I need to work it back, I have a empty PET i could drop some of each into this and have a spooky ribena vimto mix!!! :eek:

I have been thinking of starting a Ribena, Vimto, Strawberry Ribena, Cherry Vimto brew in my carboy for a while, if you try it give us some feed back on how it goes please :thumb:

Marrsy

If it were me, I take Moley's advice from similar threads and let it ferment out and then top up with boiled water to lower the final ABV. That way the yeast go through their normal life cycle rather than being killed off part way through with sorbate.

I don't understand why the Ribena OG is significantly lower, what's it in and what volume have you topped up to?

600ml of Ribena would contain 315g of sugar if you've used the right stuff with the gold foil and not the diet option with the blue foil, and then you've added 1500g giving 1815g in total.

That would give an OG of 1.130 in 5 litres.

What yeast have you used?

My Young's super yeast compound would ferment that out to dryness and will certainly tolerate 19% abv, possibly slightly more.

i use youngs wine yeast and have decided to let them run as i started them. They have been on close to a week now and you can still hear and see them fizzing, looks like the yeast is working well as it started quite thick and is already looking thinner.

It was the normal gold top on the ribena but the vimto was a cherry one.

Latest posts

Back