Are these sloes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if this is right place, but do these look like sloes?

IMG00215-20110825-1157-S.jpg

The fruits are about 1cm-1.5cm and have a single stone.

The bush has some spines but its not absolutley covered in them??

Cheers, Dave.

Looks like it to me.
They're not ripe yet up here in Wet Yorkshire, but the crop's looking better than last year

yup they look like the fellas.... :thumb:

we have a few kilos picked and frozen, i wasnt sure they would be ripe at this time of year... :wha:

down here they seem ripe as there are some on the floor ,they pull from the bush easily,
and they can be squished between finger and thumb, :cool:

They're sloes alright....they do seem to be ripe early this year. I've got a few picked & frozen, they came from along a hedgerow and some sections seemed to be quite soft, a few metres further along they were still like bullets. I reckon they'll be better in another month but I picked & froze some just in case they all disappear by next time I go looking.
On the same walk I came across a tree full of small yellow plum like things which subsequent research suggests are Bullaces, so I have a bottle of Bullace Vodka and a small jar of Bullace Gin on the go

Would anyone be willing to post me half a dozen seeds to a m8 of mine coming over shortly?
I can pay the postage via paypal?

I am also looking for Elderberry seeds too - i cant get either here in Turkey but i'll bet i can grow the buggers!

Thanks
Scream

I can put some elderberry seeds in an envelope and post them- we've got some growing in the garden. The only sloes I've got have now been at -18 in the freezer for a week so not sure they'd still be viable.
PM me with the address..no worries about postage for UK

Looks like it to me, we have loads of these up the yard, luckily the horses dint eat them nor do any of the people that go there, hoping to pick and make sloe gin for my dad

screamlead said:
Thats the elderberry seeds sorted guys - anyone with some sloe seeds you could send please?

never used sloes but there are some growing close by on a cycle path.
If i pick some and extract the seeds i can send them if you post address etc
do i need to do anything with them before sending? How many?
Im over there next week for elderberry anyway.

just been on a hunt for the first time for elderberries, and came across these

sorry did no realize the picture was so blurry
it was raining

but are these just smaller sloes?

Could be dogwood berries

C0020932-Dogwood_berries_Cornus_sanguinea_-SPL.jpg

but they are normally in clusters (although the plants in your pic look very unhealthy), classed as bitter and inedible at best, poisonous at worse.

Whatever they are, it isn't sloes.

Think you maybe right for UK but the seasons here are different. Everything seems to start off in Jan here. I have a couple of plum plants growing at the moment and they didnt go in a fridge or anything just planted and they are doing fine as is some peach i planted too.
Also got Almond, papaya and advocado all done from seed this year - march ish and they are all good too.

Latest posts

Back