Argh forgot to fit hop strainer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lammatron2000

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this calamity?

I ended up having to steralize my entire arm with VWP and reach into the brew in order to fit it!

fingers crossed.

I've forgotten the hop strainer too.

I tipped the whole lot out into the fermentor, then fitted the hop strainer and poured it all back into the boiler.

My new boiler has the hop strainer as a permanent fixture so there is no way I can forget to put it in now.

wendy1971 said:
Hope you left your arm in the solution for more than 10 minutes as that's how long it takes to sterilise using wwp

I don't believe this. I've been using VWP for years now and have only ever had to give bottles and tubes etc a quick swil with the stuff. The only time I've ever had off batches is when I've forgoten to sterilise.

In hind sight through pouring it off first then pouring it back in would have been a better solution :hmm:

Last time this happened to me, it wasn't not fitted but had a blockage in it so no flow, I just cooled as normal and manually emptied using a jug and strainer into the FV. Beer was fine but next time I need to check the stainer BEFORE I fill for the boil.

Back