At last.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wysh

Reaction score
Well I've finally been and gone and done it. Had the kit for ages but been too tired to do much as I've been absolutely bloody knackered with being one man down at work and doing work on the house.

Did a John Bull London Porter, sterilised, mixed with Beer Enhancer 2, added yeast, tested the specific gravity (1.042 ish) had a taste (a bit yuck to be honest) and new left it to hopefully ferment. It tastes a little weak to be honest but hopefully will mature with age.
Had a little trouble with the brew enhancer clumping up at first but it seemed to gradually dissolve.

100_0928.jpg

Well I've finally been and gone and done it. Had the kit for ages but been too tired to do much as I've been absolutely bloody knackered with being one man down at work and doing work on the house.

Did a John Bull London Porter, sterilised, mixed with Beer Enhancer 2, added yeast, tested the specific gravity (1.042 ish) had a taste (a bit yuck to be honest) and new left it to hopefully ferment. It tastes a little weak to be honest but hopefully will mature with age.
Had a little trouble with the brew enhancer clumping up at first but it seemed to gradually dissolve.

View attachment 6243

did you add any sugar or yeast nutrient to it ?

If the brew enhancer was the full weight of fermentables (1kg for most one can kits) then no additional sugar would be needed.

Yeast nutrient is mostly used with wine, mead and some ciders. I've never used it in any of my brews.

If the brew enhancer was the full weight of fermentables (1kg for most one can kits) then no additional sugar would be needed.

Yeast nutrient is mostly used with wine, mead and some ciders. I've never used it in any of my brews.

Thanks, yes, 1kg. It's the Coopers Brew Enhancer 2. It hadn't started fermenting but hopefully by the time I get home tonight it will be on the way.

Thanks, yes, 1kg. It's the Coopers Brew Enhancer 2. It hadn't started fermenting but hopefully by the time I get home tonight it will be on the way.

No, just the brew enhancer 2. Hope I did right.

I have been adding yeast nutrient since I got it recently ( a fiery ginger beer and wilkos Mexican brew ) and I haven't noticed a difference yet but im sure it helps + it doesn't hurt to add a bit of sugar extra to a brew - especially later on in the primary once it slows down as the yeast will have grown a greater tolerance to the alcohol as compared to at the re-hydration/introduction of them to the solution

I don't think yeast nutrient can hurt, but I don't think many, if any, beer kits or regular strength AG/extract brews call for it.

Sugar generally "thins" a beer and can be considered junk food for yeast*, it can be used to help restart a stuck brew, but you're complicating your ABV calculation by adding sugar mid brew.

BKE is generally a mix of brewing sugar (dextrose) and DME. Either can be used by entirely by themselves and create different mouth feels.

*I got warned off using it for starters as it made the yeast lazy due to the difference of sucrose/maltose.

If in any doubt do some research/googling, though most things have people in both camps.

As long as you enjoy what you brew it doesn't matter.

Glad to hear you took the plunge Wysh, wish you all the best with it. I've not done the John Bull London Porter but I've done their IPA and Traditional Ale and liked both of them. With the hot weather it might be an idea to have a quick read up on a blow off tube. Stouts are certainly known for going off like Vesuvius in the first 48hrs you could find your Porter doing the same.

So fit one of these:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNbJlxnWiA[/ame]

To avoid one of these:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfubawsrcM[/ame]

Glad to hear you took the plunge Wysh, wish you all the best with it. I've not done the John Bull London Porter but I've done their IPA and Traditional Ale and liked both of them. With the hot weather it might be an idea to have a quick read up on a blow off tube. Stouts are certainly known for going off like Vesuvius in the first 48hrs you could find your Porter doing the same.

So fit one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNbJlxnWiA

To avoid one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfubawsrcM

Loving the second vid.

I have to admit MQ it's one of my favourites, I'm sure we can all imagine walking into that monster at 6 in the morning with the FV lid across the room.

It's like one of those hand held cam horror movies where the unsuspecting teenagers stubble across some nameless monsterous horror :lol:

Oh frick. Now you tell me. Mrs Wysh is gonna kill me. I've done it in the kitchen on one of the table chairs. She didn't want me to brew in the kitchen but I told her to wind her neck in no harm would come of it.
:doh::doh::mrgreen:

I know the beer is protected by a layer of CO2 but is it a no no to lift the lid and peek when I get home from work?

It's like one of those hand held cam horror movies where the unsuspecting teenagers stubble across some nameless monsterous horror :lol:

It looks like that squirty foam stuff builders use to hide their mistakes.

Well it looks ok. I resisted the urge to lift the lid. Thebubbler airlock thing is going like choo choo though!

100_0929.jpg

I know the beer is protected by a layer of CO2 but is it a no no to lift the lid and peek when I get home from work?

Most people will tell you not to open the lid, especially during the warmer months as fruit flies quite like beer, but I've always peeked at mine a couple of times during fermentation and it hasn't done any harm. As you say, there is a nice protective blanket over there and breweries in this country have fermented in open vessels for years.

Disclaimer: I have had one infection but that was in a warm month when the FV lid blew off and was left for a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back