Australasian Brut IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is a bit of a user upper brew. I have some golden syrup left over from pancake day so plan is to use this together with 3kg of Pale malt.

I also have 100g each of Waimea, Summer and Wai-iti which I picked up cheap and some Amalyse enzyme which I bought when I thought I’d almost boiled my mash a couple of months ago (I hadn’t and it got down to 1.012 in the end).

I’m mashing at 62C and fermenting with BRY-97.

Hopping as follows for, I think, around 19 IBUs:
0B92AA75-E8BE-45E0-9F17-FFB506138422.png

Sounds good ! What’s your batch size ?
20L. I’d read that a Brut IPA should be session strength so anything under 1.005 should give me 4.5% plus but I’m aiming for 1.000 for around 5%.

I’m also banking on my efficiency being up because I’ve fixed the wobbly gap on my grain mill.

I’m also banking on my efficiency being up because I’ve fixed the wobbly gap on my grain mill.
Hit my 1.039 SG bang on, which means I’m now achieving 75% efficiency (I’d been getting 65% before I fixed the wobble!). If I get down to 1.000 then I’ll hit 5.18% so I’m chuffed!

Dry hopped tonight using my dry hopper / hop rocket thing. When I bought them it said each could take 300g of hops but I’ve split my 175g dey hop over both to be safe.

Has anyone using the Danstar yeast find they give off much more of a sulphury odour than the other yeast manufacturers? I found the same with their ESB yeast but it’s the first times I’ve ever had that kind of smell in my 4 years of brewing.

Latest posts

Back