Azacca Session IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We're hosting a BBQ on the first weekend of August and I wanted to make a sessionable pale ale which hopefully the guests will enjoy and if they don't, I will.

My previous attempts at a session-strength IPA/Pale Ale did not turn out too well. There was not enough malt backbone and it ended up tasting like grassy hopwater. This was a couple of years ago, so hopefully I've developed my skills and recipe design since then.

I had several pints of Brew By Number's Citra & Azacca IPA at a recent beer festival and loved what Azacca brought to the party (if you find this anywhere, try it!).

I plan to brew on Sunday (weather-dependant) and it will be going on the yeast cake from my Vermont IPA.

I plan on putting this in my corny, so recipe is for 20l in fermeter. Hopefully I'll have 18.5l or so to go into the corny.

Recipe:

Est OG - 1.040
Est FG - 1.009
Est ABV - 4.04%
Est IBU - 40%
Est Efficiency - 70%

3.26kg Pale Malt Muntons Propino (UK) - 85%
380g Fawcett Vienna (UK) - 10%
190g Carapils (Ger) - 5%

15g Magnum (Ger) - FWH
20g Azacca (US) - 10 mins
30g Azacca (US) - 30 Minute Steep/Whirlpool at 80°C
50g Azacca (US) - Dry Hop 5 days

1 hour mash at 67°C, which will hopefully leave some body.

I plan on brewing this on Sunday, after racking off my Vermont IPA into another FV to dry-hop. Any thoughts on the recipe?

Hmmm having looked at a few more recipes, I'm not sure if the dry hop is sufficient. Can't order any more Azacca, but got 20g each of Hallertau Blanc, Motueka and Rakau when I ordered the recipe kit. I think the Blanc will be going in the IPA, but Motueka and Rakau may complement the Azacca?

Latest posts

Back