Back in the game...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varnish

Reaction score
Not on the game.....that story's for a different forum.

After a few years away from brewing I've decided to have another go.

I started a Black Rock New Zealand cider kit on Saturday (recommended by the lady in the shop). With 1 kilo of sucrose. SG ~1.035

I'd always been disappointed with previous brews. They had always been tainted with a very strong, very oblivious plastic taste.
After sticking my head in the fermenting bucket (30+ years old, belonged to my father) I think I found the problem. So a new bucket was bought, along with new seals for the king keg.

Questions:
Has anyone got experience of this cider?

Would it be worth using apple juice - apple juice/sugar mix instead of just sugar for priming/second fermentation?

I work in the food industry and can get all kinds of less common sugars for nothing. Why is dextrose better than sucrose, and is there anything else I could use?

I've read on here that the king keg is useless if I was a fizzy drink. Do you think it could be modified to hold a carbonated drink? I think my Dad's old pressure keg is in the loft somewhere. I'll see if its serviceable.

Sorry for all the questions
Varnish

Look what I found:
100_0795.jpg

Seems to be in quite good nick. Anyone know where I can get a tap for less than £40?

Try one of the forum sponsers i'm sure one of them will sort you out :thumb:

EBay FTW:
100_0798.jpg

100_0799.jpg

100_0800.jpg

SG is at around 1017. It's certainly taking its time :hmm:
I won't rush it, I'll rack it when its at 1006.

I let my Sister try some of the cider last night.
She said it tasted like manky water and had no alcohol innit!

I was rather offended, as I thought it was perfectly acceptable.
I don't know if its a case of me being blinded by the fact it's my brew, or if my sister has no taste.
I think my own sense of taste is quite good, as I work in R&D developing new formulations/flavours for well known soft drink companies.

Varnish said:
I don't know if its a case of me being blinded by the fact it's my brew, or if my sister has no taste.

Having had to sit through an episode of "Ugly Betty" the other night, I'd say it's fairly safe to assume that 95% of women have no taste.

hidewall.gif

I'd agree with you there.
I once sufferend through 15 minutes of "Sex and the city" and was contemplating a one way ticket to Switzerland.

The OG was low, but it works out to be around 4%.
Meh, maybe it's because it didn't taste like lemonade and wasn't in a glass full of ice bricks.

Back