bad batch of beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wollescote

Reaction score
Have used old Liebfraumilch bottles for some time for bottling bitters Last two batches made me feel extremely nauseous down the sink find it so time consuming and laborious to rinse sterilise and rinse again 22 bottles have only been rinsing with water lately Any quick ways to clean bottles before bottling Thanks

All I do is wash it up in clean detergent after drinking, rinse with HOT water, then dunk in starsan/chemsan just before bottling.

You do know Liebfraumilch bottles are not pressure vessels and are for wine and not carbonated beer

Have used old Liebfraumilch bottles for some time for bottling bitters Last two batches made me feel extremely nauseous down the sink find it so time consuming and laborious to rinse sterilise and rinse again 22 bottles have only been rinsing with water lately Any quick ways to clean bottles before bottling Thanks
I would rather spend a bit more time cleaning and sanitising my bottles than tipping my beer down the sink :rolleyes:

I hate bottling but always clean and sanitise properly if you don't you may as well just chuck the money you spent on the ingredients or kit down the bog.

Clean the bottles straight away after you use them. Crud is much easier to get out when it's wet. I normally fill partly with water and give a good shake, then repeat 3-4 times. If there is any residue in there, use a bottle brush. Then let it dry, then store it.

On brew day, you only need to sanitise it. This can be done in the dishwasher on a hot cycle. I used to do this, but now I use starsan (no need to rinse) using this handy contraption. It makes it a 5 second job to Sanitise a bottle.
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/vinatore-bottle-rinser

Oh. I also use punctuation. It makes it so much easier to read you post. đź‘Ť

My method:
Clean bottles with weak washing-up liquid/hot water using a bottle brush, rinse then leave on my "bottle tree" to dry. I then store these bottles with cheap plastic push on caps until I have a bottling day.
On bottling day, I sanitize all the bottles I need (40x500ml) using Starsan (I usually make up 2 litres of solution and use it for my bottles and bottling bucket etc.) I use a bottle rinser as shown in the post above, then leave the bottles on my bottle tree until filling them.
I cannot understand using a wine bottle to bottle beer; how do you seal it? with a cork? wine bottles (apart from champagne) are not designed for the pressure associated with secondary fermentation.

As above - no-rinse cleansers are the answer - not sure if it was obvious from the above that Chemsan, Starsan, and some others don't require rinsing, and don't need the 15 mins contact time the the likes of Youngs steriliser state.

So if your bottles are clean before bottling day it only takes a quick swill round with a no-rinse cleaner, empty it out, and you're good to go.

You'd be better off with old PET lemonade bottles than wine bottles though. Just keep then in the dark (e.g. in a box) if you use clear ones.

Clean the bottles straight away after you use them. Crud is much easier to get out when it's wet. I normally fill partly with water and give a good shake, then repeat 3-4 times. If there is any residue in there, use a bottle brush. Then let it dry, then store it.

On brew day, you only need to sanitise it. This can be done in the dishwasher on a hot cycle. I used to do this, but now I use starsan (no need to rinse) using this handy contraption. It makes it a 5 second job to Sanitise a bottle.
https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/vinatore-bottle-rinser

Oh. I also use punctuation. It makes it so much easier to read you post. đź‘Ť
Yep. My process is rinse in warm water straight after serving. Small amount of water on first rinse to flush out the detritus without creating a foam storm, then two or three rinses. No detergent necessary or desirable. Dry and store and then sanitise in a spare FV filled with Starsan or similar. I bottle in 10 bottle batches at a time; submerge 10 in the bucket, drain upside down on old dishwasher rack while submerging the next batch of 10. Never had an infection problem in the bottle, nor with punctuation.

To be honest if you don't want to go to the effort of cleaning/sanitising bottles then I would suggest homebrewing isn't the hobby for you. As has been said, not worth the effort/money on the ingredients and brewing if you are happy to risk an entire batch for the sake of not sanotising your bottles.

Well, those are for wine, and when I do wine I use sodium metabisulfite and rinse with cold water. After 20 years I've not had any problems re-using the same old bottles! I keep an extra stock in an out-building and if I need to use them they get a serious dose of sodmet before using. Regarding beer, why not use a king keg pressure barrel? Much easier and far less cleaning. I clean my barrels with Lidl's own brand of stain remover (like vanish) . I fill the barrel with hot water and add a measure or two (depending on the stubborness of any stains) of 'Vanish'. Leave to soak overnight then emtpy and refill with cold water. Allow that to stand for half a day. Then if the barrel isn't going to be instantly re-filled, I leave a few fl ozs water in the bottom and put in just a few grains of sodmet to keep it fresh.

Latest posts

Back