Badger Golden Glory - A kit to start with?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleinan

Reaction score
I want to try and brew something close to the excellent Golden Glory using a kit as a starting point. I plan to dry hop with some Challengers and also add Elderflower.

Any suggestions on what Kit to start with though? I was perhaps thinking about Coopers APA?

Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Do you have a 10L+ pot? Why not do an extract brew?

DME, hops of choice and yeast of choice is all you need. Top up with cold water and you've got an original brew sorted! :thumb:

Golden glory has peach blossom essence. Try a small adding a small amount of peach schnapps flavouring (from homebrew shop). Half to three-quarters of a small 20ml bottle is fine for a 23 litre brew, added at bottling/kegging stage.

A common mistake it's golden champion with elderflowers my LHBS was not impressed when I pointed this out and still sells golden cornbine as a glory clone. Ifit makes a nice ale who really cares though?

RobWalker said:
Do you have a 10L+ pot? Why not do an extract brew?

DME, hops of choice and yeast of choice is all you need. Top up with cold water and you've got an original brew sorted! :thumb:

Thanks for this Rob, could you just elaborate a bit on process? do I need boil the extract with a certain amount of water...or add boiling water to the extract like I do when making a kit?

Thanks

Ian

You mix the dry extract with hot/boiling water, make it up to as much as you can (mine is 10L in a 12L pot as it froths up) then bring it to the boil on the hob. Boil it for an hour with hops, they go in at 60 minutes for bitterness, 30 minutes for flavour and 10 minutes for aroma. After the hour, pour into your sanitized FV and top up with water to 23L, then ferment as normal.

There's a guide here, but for a lower volume boil, you would need to adjust the hops. If it's something you want to do, I'll write you a step by step :)

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2672

Thanks Rob. I am going to give this a go. 10 litres sounds like a good amount to start with. A step by step would be very helpful...not sure on quantanties really? Looking at using challenger hops and the peach shnaps extract that was suggested. Should hopefully get me to something close to Golden Glory.

Cheers

Ian

Awesome. You wanna leave about 2L space for boiling at least, btw. make sure you are accurate on quantities, you may want to measure out what 10L looks like in your pan before you make it up with DME.

going on this (roughly) and tweaking to suit your ingredients...

http://www.hopandgrain.com/recipeSearch ... en%20Glory

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L      
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.7 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount       Item                                     Type          % or IBU     
3.00 kg      Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)              Dry Extract   93.8 %       
0.20 kg      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)    Grain         6.3 %        
65.00 gm     Challenger [7.50%]  (60 min)             Hops          28.3 IBU     
15.00 gm     Challenger [7.50%]  (10 min)             Hops          2.4 IBU    
15.00 gm     Elderflower (10 min)

1) Steep crystal malt in 1L of 66c water for 20 minutes. remove grains and reserve liquid.
2) Make light dry extract, wort from crystal malt and hot water up to 10L in pan leaving at least 2L headroom.
3) bring to the boil.
4) when boiling, start timer and add 65gm challenger.
5) After 50 minutes of boiling, add 15g challenger and elderflower.
6) when time is up, pour into FV through a muslin bag or sieve, ensuring the hops don't enter the FV. Top up to 23L with cool water and pitch yeast as usual.

If you wanna go the kit route, start with a basic golden ale kit and steep the crystal malt and 15gm challenger hops in 66c water for 20 minutes. Boil the elderflower for 10, and add it all together in an FV.

You could also add that peach stuff, I would do it straight into the FV personally :thumb:

Eventually got round to my first extract brew last night. All went remarkably smoothly. Made 11.5L with ingredients that cost about a tenner! In the FV now so fingers crossed that it turns out Golden Gloryish!

If it turns out OK then this will be the way I brew going forward.

Thanks to Rob for pointing me in the right direction!

Notts Beer Festival this weekend so hoping to pick up a few ideas!!

Cheers

Golden Glory clones are good with a small amount of peach flavouring (vodka flavouring) added at the kegging/bottling stage. I put a tiny 20ml bottle in 25 litres but think I would use 15ml in the next one as the aroma was a little strong.

The genuine version uses peach blossom extract but I couldn't find that!

Sorry ignore my last post. I hadn't realized that I had already stuck my two'pennerth in previously!!!

This has been in the FV for 11 days now so I took a reading. Gone to 1010 from 1040. Had a quick try and was pleasantly surprised...nice and hoppy but also has the peachy aroma and taste. However, put the lid back on and within half an hour the lid was bulging again! First time this has happened to me? Will leave it a few more days and see how things go.

Also quite a lot a clumpy yeast in the brew. Hopefully this will disappear when I cool it?

Back