Bar prices

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think £3 a pint of ale is bad, I paid £3 for a pint of Lemonade the week before last in a pub in Whiteley! :shock:

James

james1988 said:
If you think £3 a pint of ale is bad, I paid £3 for a pint of Lemonade the week before last in a pub in Whiteley! :shock:

James
at my place if you want a pint of post mix with no ice to the brim its £3.70!!!!!

Darcey said:
at my place if you want a pint of post mix with no ice to the brim its £3.70!!!!!
HOW MUCH?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't mind paying £3.00+ per pint as long as it's good for the economy and the country in general... :wha: :wha: :wha:

BB :P

There are 3 Wetherspoons in the city centre, so the prices are generally reasonable, or the competition goes out of businness, it's just a pity they are full of idiots after about 8 at night :(

I took the wife away for the weekend recently, used up some air miles from work on a free posh hotel :) the beer there was all chemical stuff and over £4 a pint as well, happily there was a supermarket nearby with bottles of ale at sensible prices, so after a good meal it was back to the room for beer and my reward :D

I think that weatherspoons are generally loved by people that don't visit their local often enough.

I often hear!

'Oh down the road t' Weatherspoons I can get a pint of bitter for £1.55!...OOH and that LARGER stuff.. £1.85!!...'

yes you can.. but its John Smiths ***** Flow and Bastardised Tuborg and you will wait too long at the bar, your glass will be warm and people sat next to you will more than likely vomit on you!...

Not to mention the food... :sick:

Darcey said:
your glass will be warm and people sat next to you will more than likely vomit on you!...

Hey, that's a good night out around here..lol ;)

Went to a new pub near me last night. The food and service was ****, on draught there was only Grolsch and the best bottled beer was Innis & Gun (the only other beer was peroni, morreti, budvar nad somthing else not worth remebering). Minimum price for a bottle was £4 and a pint of Grolsch £3.80. :evil:

Suffice to say that I will not be going back

My experience in Norfolk is very similar, depends where you go and what you drink but £2.50 to £3.50 covers your average. I know that the pressures on brewing and pubs is massive for all sorts of reasons but the growth in drinking elsewhere is growing. In 1972 90% of all alcohol was bought in the pub 2011 it was down to 50% (Source SIBA). The growth of home brewing is something I haven't seen factored into this but to illustrate why, my last brew (yesterday, All Grain) ingredients cost was £4.73 for 47 pints. I can only see it growing even faster and whilst I welcome more people into this noble hobby I mourn the inevitable decline of the pub to a nostalgic vestigial cultural artefact.

orlando said:
My experience in Norfolk is very similar, depends where you go and what you drink but £2.50 to £3.50 covers your average. I know that the pressures on brewing and pubs is massive for all sorts of reasons but the growth in drinking elsewhere is growing. In 1972 90% of all alcohol was bought in the pub 2011 it was down to 50% (Source SIBA). The growth of home brewing is something I haven't seen factored into this but to illustrate why, my last brew (yesterday, All Grain) ingredients cost was £4.73 for 47 pints. I can only see it growing even faster and whilst I welcome more people into this noble hobby I mourn the inevitable decline of the pub to a nostalgic vestigial cultural artefact.

I agree with you about not wanting to see pubs in decline but around me (S.Wales valleys) the landlords cater to those who want to watch football and have a scrap than those who would like to drink a decent pint. There is a pub two streets away from me that sells some good ales and ciders but he's rapidly going out of business because he can't compete with those offering a pound a pint.

The sad fact of it all is we're not the staple business of pubs anymore our brainwashed friends the football and **** water crowd are.

James

Darcey said:
I think that weatherspoons are generally loved by people that don't visit their local often enough.

I often hear!

'Oh down the road t' Weatherspoons I can get a pint of bitter for £1.55!...OOH and that LARGER stuff.. £1.85!!...'

yes you can.. but its John Smiths ***** Flow and Bastardised Tuborg and you will wait too long at the bar, your glass will be warm and people sat next to you will more than likely vomit on you!...

Aye, right enough, but they are OK for an afternoon session when it's quiet, sadly most places near me don't sell decent beer, just the gassy chemical sh1t, and then at prices higher than the 'spoon :(

There are a couple of good pubs in cycling distance, but riding 15 miles home on unlit roads after a few pints can get very interesting, so I tend to keep my pub drinking to Saturday afternoon sessions and either invite mates to mine, or go the there's on an evening.

The food is OK at one of the three 'spoons we have, that's OK, not brilliant, but edible and cheap :)

My local spoons always has about 3-5 guest ales in and usually also some guest cider. They usually range between £2-£2.50.

I worked in Moscow until last year. My most jaw dropping round was "3 pints of Guinness please". "Certainly, that'll be £27 please"

Nine quid a pint :eek: Ouch!

Went to Iceland on our honeymoon, but we only went in a bar once. Two halves of lager, £7.50. That was in 1990 so I dread to think what it would cost today. Thankfully, we had taken in our duty free allowances. We kept the glasses, and one still survives.

Skip the jokes about bottle prices in the frozen food store :nono:
Anyway, our branch doesn't sell anything worth drinking.

Round Sheffield a pint of ale is roughly £2.50 - £3.00 in most places for middle of the road strengths. Although at my local its starting to get a bit of a stretch to hit the 4 pints for a tenner mark.

i have a few regular (every time liverpool play :lol: ) scandinavian visitors they dont half stock up on me i.r.s. when they visit! normally sell 200+ bottles for 10 of 'em!

beer prices round here vary from 1.80 at the evil empire (spoons!) to 4 quid at some of the pricer boutique bars

sell lots to london, befuddled me when i say 2 same price casks going for a pound difference per pint cos one was 0.4% stronger :shock:

One of my locals has just reopened. You would think that, following on from a failed landlord who couldn't serve a decent pint, that you would put on some decent beer at a slightly lower price than the competition, to attract a few punters.

But no, 3 **** beers at 15p a pint dearer than the local's favourite round the corner.

£3.50 for Black Sheep bitter. WTF?

STUPID !

Most bars is Belfast were averaging around £3.50 to £3.80 a pint last time I went drinking in town. But that was a while ago!!! If you were paying for something other than Carlsberg or Harp then it might be approaching worth it but for **** weak **** water it's daylight robbery!!

My local pub charges £3.80 for a pint of Stella, I had a pint of preservation last week and that was £3.50.

I was at skegness this weekend, I bought a pint of thatchers hold in one pub, £2.50 a pint, another pub I got a pint of Guiness, that was £3.60, a different pub I gig a pint of carling, £2.00, whats going in with the world?

Becuse I was driving home on the Tuesday I stop
At a bar, got two pints of lime and lemonade a d a frittata shoot, it came to £7.80!
Should have night pints for that price :(

Latest posts

Back