Barnsley Brewer what is that perspex lid?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch

Landlord.
Reaction score
BB just seen in Steve thread show us your brewery you have a perspex lid fo rsparging?

do share the designs and pictures ;)

897ff3b6-256a-4107-ba4f-32558a4e704b_zps88f0b3bf.jpg

looks a fantastic idea

Titch

Oh, that is a good idea, would save me keep lifting the lid to check the water level during sparging.

Now, why did I drill a hole through my thermobox lid.

i know the first thing ill be looking into when i get back, finish off my systems and get me some perspex

@ vossy, just out if interest does your lid lock in place or does it just rest on top of thermopot?

Just spotted thread......... :thumb:

Been doing it like this for just over 2 years when I switched to HERMS. The perspex is 5mm with four M5 stainless bolts threaded and glued around the edge that lock on to the tun lip to stop it sliding off..
There's a brass disconnect with a P100 probe monitoring the temp as is sprayed in, if you look closely you'll see the M5 bolts
Great to view the wort aerator spaying the wort and also the spinning sparger in action without steaming up the shed!!

BB

I like this idea! Would it work on the boiler too I ask myself....I'd need a seal and a vent for steam...hmm...

My automated hop hoppers drop hops down a shoot into the boil, but the shoot being open to the boiler gets steamed up. To counter that I use an extracter fan mounted on the wooden lid to pull air down the hop shoot to keep it dry, over the surface to the boil and out through the fan to the outside.
So to solve my problem I am thinking of moving to hop pellets and small hop hoppers sat directly on the Perspex lid, doing away with the whole shoot thing. Problem is how to open and close the hoppers and sealing them well. Hmmm.

Steve

Titch said:
Cheers BB

i can just make out the bolts.
how did you stop them scratching your shiny pot?
The bolt head doesn't touch unless the lid slides to one side then that's when it stops it sliding off..
Works great!!
BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Just spotted thread......... :thumb:

Been doing it like this for just over 2 years when I switched to HERMS. The perspex is 5mm with four M5 stainless bolts threaded and glued around the edge that lock on to the tun lip to stop it sliding off..
There's a brass disconnect with a P100 probe monitoring the temp as is sprayed in, if you look closely you'll see the M5 bolts
Great to view the wort aerator spaying the wort and also the spinning sparger in action without steaming up the shed!!

BB

Whats the best way of cutting 5mm perspex as I would need a 630mm Diameter disc cutting

My mate did mine on a lazer cutter but you'd probably be fine using a jigsaw with a very fine downwards cut blade.

BB

ebay a disk of perspex the 500mm x 3mm one i got for my fb was about £20, i just centered it and used a sanding drum on a drill while braking the spin with a glove, took it down to 434 for a snug fit in no time.

Back