Basic question of gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbangoose

Reaction score
I am brewing a grapefruit IPA - OG reading was 1.054 about spot on. A week later its at 1.022 so still some way to go. Was looking to transfer to secondary and add more hops, but have often wondered that If I transfer now, will it affect my final gravity?

It won't affect the final gravity, it will keep fermenting in the secondary container. However, most people would dry hop in the primary fermenter these days. No point moving it to a secondary container whilst it is still fermenting in my opinion. Even after fermenting I wouldn't move it to another container to add hops, just chuck them in.

I am brewing a grapefruit IPA - OG reading was 1.054 about spot on. A week later its at 1.022 so still some way to go. Was looking to transfer to secondary and add more hops, but have often wondered that If I transfer now, will it affect my final gravity?
Moving beer just increases the chance you add oxygen into it, better to dry hop in primary if you have CO2 bottle and line I Would fill the headspace in the FV just crack it and pump CO2 in before dropping in the bag with hops

One of the joys of home brewing, ask a question and get different answers.🙂
When I am dry hopping I like to do it in secondary when there is a couple of points left to go. This means you do not have the hops in for too long. Using the escaping co2 from the primary to vent the secondary with your hops already in there. Transfer to secondary.

Latest posts

Back