Brewfather targeted gravity Vs actual

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHC

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been using Brewfather for a while now but I've never quite figured out the readings for original gravity, predicted vs actual measured.

Once I've started a brew and gone to the fermentation stage, it doesn't appear there is a way to enter my measured original gravity to then recalculate my system efficiency, or maybe I'm thinking about it wrong and it works the other way? I maybe have to manually adjust my system efficiency to get my target to match my actual OG?

For example, my last brew was targeted at 1.054 and measured at 1.045, I put this in as the first reading however Brewfather then states the fermentation is 20% done.

I suppose my efficiency should be looked at anyway given its .08 off target, this was the first time of using my new grain mill and starting from uncrushed grain, the gap was quite wide I think as if I had it any tighter, the grain wouldn't get pulled through, I ran the grain through twice but it still seemed quite coarse.

Any suggestions welcome, cheers.

Try putting data into the brewing section of the batch, it auto populates the second picture. Final and intermediate gravities add in to the fermenting section.
Adjust copies of recipe when you tweak.
Screenshot_20230613-073458.png
Screenshot_20230613-071647.png

Grey readings are where you can enter a reading ie pre boil gravity.Its white where you have entered a value in first picture.
Not an everyday beer I brew, but did manage BHE of 68 percent and once partigyle was taken into account I got 87 % bhe so quite pleased.
I've somehow fixed my final gravity you can have it estimate but I'm a good six months from that number.

Last edited:
I make small adjustments to the equipment profile when there is a pattern of results not meeting the expected numbers. Annoyingly this has no affect on existing recipes unless you re select the equipment in the recipe.

You can also adjust the grain yields and again this has no affect unless reselected.

Thanks @RoomWithABrew , I've just adjusted my last brew and it's corrected the current fermentation progress, I'll be sure to do this in future and keep a note on whether it's a consistent amount of missed gravity points, I suspect my grain mill is to blame for this batch having such low extraction, I'll need to play with this to get a finer grind I think.

cheers:

Efficiency and targets is a bit of a minefield.
So many factors affect it.

Crush, water, pH, Salts and volumes / sparge, temperature and time are all adjustable.

You won't go wrong reading through this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...use-efficiency-question.723670/#post-10199168
post 3 is a starter and then suggest you have a play with doug293cz mash and lauter calculator/ spreadsheet.

It's a zipped open document spreadsheet that I plugged some of my numbers into.

It demonstrates the problem of more grain doesn't increase sugars as you would think.

Attachments

• Dougs mash and sparge calculator.zip
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for that, I'll have a play around with it. I'm definitely thinking my new grain mill is the cause of this batches low efficiency, I've previously been using pre-crushed grain from Crossmyloof and my efficiency has been pretty spot on until this batch, the only variable that changed was the new grain mill, and probably my inability to set it up correctly.

I'll tweak this next batch and plug the numbers into the sheet, see how that goes.

Cheers again!

Hey all,

I've been using Brewfather for a while now but I've never quite figured out the readings for original gravity, predicted vs actual measured.

Once I've started a brew and gone to the fermentation stage, it doesn't appear there is a way to enter my measured original gravity to then recalculate my system efficiency, or maybe I'm thinking about it wrong and it works the other way? I maybe have to manually adjust my system efficiency to get my target to match my actual OG?

For example, my last brew was targeted at 1.054 and measured at 1.045, I put this in as the first reading however Brewfather then states the fermentation is 20% done.

I suppose my efficiency should be looked at anyway given its .08 off target, this was the first time of using my new grain mill and starting from uncrushed grain, the gap was quite wide I think as if I had it any tighter, the grain wouldn't get pulled through, I ran the grain through twice but it still seemed quite coarse.

Any suggestions welcome, cheers.
You can go back and manually change the OG figures in Brewfather... So if you've moved on to the "Fermenting" stage, your display will look something like this (Android version)..
Screenshot_20230613-080004.png

At the top of the screen, you can see tabs for the four stages - Planning - Brewing - Fermenting - Conditioning. If you tap the Brewing tab and scroll down the page, you'll be able to modify the OG (and other) values...

Screenshot_20230613-080100.png

You can go back and manually change the OG figures in Brewfather... So if you've moved on to the "Fermenting" stage, your display will look something like this (Android version)..
View attachment 86765
At the top of the screen, you can see tabs for the four stages - Planning - Brewing - Fermenting - Conditioning. If you tap the Brewing tab and scroll down the page, you'll be able to modify the OG (and other) values...

View attachment 86766
As post 2 then?

@JHC
Crush made the biggest difference for me, terror of a stuck mash / sparge was a problem.
I tightened the gap for half of my grain bill to lessen my fear and then checked my results.
Conditioning the grain with 2% by weight of water made a big difference to milling outcome as well. Only condition grain with husks btw although they can all be milled together.

Latest posts

Back