Batch Primed Hot Spot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockuronium

Reaction score
Just opened a bottle of Ambrioux and it was an active volcano, the froff emptied the bottle. I don't understand how this has happened. I batch primed back in August with Demerara, I've drank around 20 bottles with no issues. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe one of the last filled bottles, and the sugar not completely dissolved?
Or an unsanitised bottle maybe.

I always rack my beer onto the sugar and also stir. I think Stevey's correct it was probably one of the last bottles and got an undissolved OD. The dreg tasted fine so not a sanitisation issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've got a question about natural carbonation. I'm fairly new at this, and from what I gather dry & bubbly or sweet & flat are the typical naturally carbed options, leaving aside artificial sweetener and non fermentable sugars. I don't mind, I'm not much for sweet. I'm curious though; let's say I made a beer with an 8% tolerant yeast using less sugar than required to get to 8% ABV. Let's assume that every time the fermentation got really slow I added a bit more sugar until I got to a dry 8% brew, with little to no fermentable sugar remaining. If I were to add a different, more alcohol tolerant strain of yeast (say 10%) and enough sugar to ferment in theory to 15% ABV then keg it would this be a practicable way to get a "sweet and bubbly" brew? Or would I just end up with an exploded keg because yeast mutation means that some would be sufficiently hardy to survive past 10% ABV and would eventually produce too much CO2?

So I've got a question about natural carbonation. I'm fairly new at this, and from what I gather dry & bubbly or sweet & flat are the typical naturally carbed options, leaving aside artificial sweetener and non fermentable sugars. I don't mind, I'm not much for sweet. I'm curious though; let's say I made a beer with an 8% tolerant yeast using less sugar than required to get to 8% ABV. Let's assume that every time the fermentation got really slow I added a bit more sugar until I got to a dry 8% brew, with little to no fermentable sugar remaining. If I were to add a different, more alcohol tolerant strain of yeast (say 10%) and enough sugar to ferment in theory to 15% ABV then keg it would this be a practicable way to get a "sweet and bubbly" brew? Or would I just end up with an exploded keg because yeast mutation means that some would be sufficiently hardy to survive past 10% ABV and would eventually produce too much CO2?

you could certainly finish off a brew with a champagne yeast but you'd get a drier high abv beer although you'd retain some of the character of the original yeast.

No, I get that I could use different yeast for higher ABV/less sugar. What I'm wondering is basically "can certain strains of yeast be counted upon to reliably die off when a particular ABV is reached"? If so, I'm hoping to use the first, low ABV resistant strain as an indicator to tell me when a certain percentage has been reached, then add a higher ABV tolerant strain in order to produce an amount of CO2 that can reasonably be estimated. Since I'll be adding more sugar than is necessary in order to sweeten the brew it's important that I have a reasonable estimate of the amount if CO2 produced by the second strain. For example if I use Strain X in a 6% ABV solution and it dies at 8% ABV I'll need to add Y amount of sugar to reach 8%. Any sugar I add greater than Y amount should make the brew sweeter. However if Strain X produces 4 volumes of CO2 while fermenting between 6% and 8% then I'll have to wait until the fermentation is mostly done before kegging so because I only need one volume over and above the one volume already dissolved in the brew. It sounds more technical than it is.

Latest posts

Back