BEòIR

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lupinehorror

Landlord.
Reaction score
ordered some crossmyloof BEòIR. wondering how it'd work replacing the stock yeast that comes with an IPA kit...

I would not use the Beoir yeast on a IPA unless you want the esters it throws to compete with the hops as it is meant for ales etc and will probably give a sweeter finish with fruity (hedgerow) flavours.
I have used it on ales and it does throw esters to my palate just like winter ales styles of fruity sweetness.
If you want to replace the IPA yeast there are many you can use and if you are using CML yeasts try the Pia having said that you never know as brewing is a experimental game so feel free to ignore my findings and maybe go for it

thanks. info is appreciated. have heard of PIA mentioned before in a good way so may give that a go and leave the BEòIR for another style of brew.

I've used PiA and Beoir each once I think. Pia made a very good pale ale with NZ hops, Beoir made a clone of Orkney Corncrake which has just as much hops as the pale ale but they're all Styrian Goldings instead of Nelson and Galaxy, both great beers. Didn't really pick up much esters from either, Beoir seemed just as clean as Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale was in the first clone brew.

I've used PiA and Beoir each once I think. Pia made a very good pale ale with NZ hops, Beoir made a clone of Orkney Corncrake which has just as much hops as the pale ale but they're all Styrian Goldings instead of Nelson and Galaxy, both great beers. Didn't really pick up much esters from either, Beoir seemed just as clean as Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale was in the first clone brew.
my only knowledge of esters comes from A/H level chemistry. that was some time ago so i may have to investigate further.

my only knowledge of esters comes from A/H level chemistry. that was some time ago so i may have to investigate further.
It's fairly straightforward for brewing, most yeasts produce esters which give a characteristic fruity flavour to the beer they produce. Some yeasts are much more neutral so don't create much of their own flavour which lets malt and hops shine clearer; e.g. US-05 (and liquid versions), most lager strains and generally Scottish strains when kept cold.

Belgian strains produce very dominant esters (fruit flavours) and phenols (spicy flavours) where English strains are more restrained and can often be kept pretty neutral by fermenting on the colder side of their range.

It gets more complicated with pitch rate and oxygen levels affecting it but most can probably just ignore that side of it, I do.

Back