Beer bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmnd

Reaction score
Hi. am trying to find a cap bottler for beer bottles. Can someone point me at some links. I can only find corkers for wine bottles.

Yep second that Jonathan,
I know you will hear one or two say twin lever cappers are ok but most do have issues eventually and can snap of the necks of bottles so my advice is buy a bench capper

Funilly enough, I bought a bench capper to use over my twin capper and was disappointed. It down't seem to push the cap flaps(?) in as much as my twin-handled capper, meaning they stick out and is quite painful if you catch it wrong with your hand.
I have done a low-budget drawing to demonstrate what I mean:
1648655270386.png

I found the bench capper the best.

The twin capper doesn't work with some recycled commercial beer bottles as the gap between the top and the lip is much shallower than the capper needs to get a good grip.

Funilly enough, I bought a bench capper to use over my twin capper and was disappointed. It down't seem to push the cap flaps(?) in as much as my twin-handled capper, meaning they stick out and is quite painful if you catch it wrong with your hand.
View attachment 65716
It's simple...you're using the wrong colour caps.

I have a twin lever capper which I have used for 19 brews so far. All fine. However I do worry sometimes that I don't have a backup incase it breaks. So I am going to invest in a bench capper when buying my next Brew.

As I've remarked before, I'm sure bench cappers are fine. If you have a bench, or other room for one. I don't. I have a twin-lever capper and I've done *many* brews with it. I pretty much only use 'deep collar' bottles which work properly with the twin-lever tool. I do have a crude 'hammer on' tool, which will cap any bottle, but those really can break the neck if you're not careful, so I seldom use it. I've never broken a bottle, or had any other issues, with a twin-lever.

I am sure bench cappers are very good but I have always used a twin capper. I have used it on countless brews over about 20 years and have never had a problem. However, I have been thinking of getting a back up since it is pretty old now so maybe I should look at a bench capper. My bottles are on the floor when I fill them. I assume you can use the bench capper set up on the floor?

I've been using the same twin lever Boots capper for the last 40 odd years. Works really well though I have to say it's a much more substantial piece of kit than the ones I see advertised these days.

As I've remarked before, I'm sure bench cappers are fine. If you have a bench, or other room for one. I don't. I have a twin-lever capper and I've done *many* brews with it. I pretty much only use 'deep collar' bottles which work properly with the twin-lever tool. I do have a crude 'hammer on' tool, which will cap any bottle, but those really can break the neck if you're not careful, so I seldom use it. I've never broken a bottle, or had any other issues, with a twin-lever.
Interesting. I have a twin-lever capper and have only done 2 brews, but on the second brew I did have a bottle neck break. I don't know if it was a weakness in the bottle or something I did incorrectly

When I first got my bench capper I found you really need to put some weight behind the lever to get a proper seal on the cap.
You hear a faint clunk and feel a firm resistance once it's properly seated, made me realize I hadn't been getting caps fully crimped before.

I have a twin lever capper which I have used for 19 brews so far. All fine. However I do worry sometimes that I don't have a backup incase it breaks. So I am going to invest in a bench capper when buying my next Brew.
Fully agree. Twin lever has worked fine for last few brews but feel an upgrade will be much better.

A bench capper would be much better if all my bottles were the same size, but I use such a mixture of sizes that I'll be sticking to my double lever hand capper.

Oh & yes, I find some particular types of bottles are more prone to breaking at the neck when capping. I had half (3) bottles recycled from one of those 6 pack Xmas gift boxes snap on me over 3 consecutive brews last year, but I'm putting it down to that style/batch of bottles being unsuitable.

View attachment 65716
UPDATE (in case anyone in future has a similar issue): I emailed TMM and they said to try a bit of Vaseline in bit that presses the cap down just until it "wears in". I just did a couple of tests with empties and can confirm it seemed to do the trick.
Lucky I have a vat of Vaseline.

Back