Beer engine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steam brew

Reaction score
Hi all
I need your help I have just made my shed into a brew house it looks good but I wish to get a beer engine so that I can also use the shed as a snug I need suggestions on what to buy thanks :cheers:

Angram are considered the best ones to get they are pretty much the industry standard. I quite like the EWL ones as well and you tend to get older examples on ebay etc so need a good clean.

The chambers are different sizes as well 1/2pt 1/3pt etc but really that doesnt make much difference. Generally if your from up north you will need a long swan neck if you are using a sparkler if not then the short spout ones are good for the job.

If you want a nice head you'll need a sparkler as well which are pretty much universal.

D

There is not a lot to choose between Angram and Worthside although I prefer the latter.
Homark are worth considering.
Complete engine refurb kits are available for under £20 on all the above which includes vat delivery and a complete new internal check valve assembly for the Homark.
Homark are my favourite as they stand the test of time due to stainless steel barrels.

Sparklers now come in half a dozen colours, if you prefer the Northern type head go for a white one, for a "traditional" head, go for a black one. If you buy an engine with a snub spout use an adjustable nozzle to suit presentation and beer condition.
The only difference in the fixed nozzles are the number and size of holes.
I have a library of photos of many the major manufactrers' clamp on and cabinet engines, so if you need more info just shout.:-)

Chris, do you have a link for the homark refurbish kits? I have managed to snap the inlet nipple to the cylinder and am struggling to find a replacement?

Thanks & apologies for the hi-jack

The inlet connections go brittle with age and house the ball bearing non return valve. Don't worry you get a new fitting complete with a better design NRV with the kit. :clap:

I bought two sets from CFBS which are very good kits, one was £14.50 and the other was £23.00. Cant be sure at the moment but I think the cheaper one is without the NRV.

The kit with NRV looks like this

I have started a 'How to' refurb various engines which I hope to finish one of the days :roll: There are special tools required although they can be substituted with a 16mm spade drill and a 6?mm twist drill :clap:

Perfect, thanks Chris, I'll get one of those :thumb: . It is all in good order apart from the part I snapped :oops: not surprising considering its 15 year old.

I see what you mean by the ss cylinders, they will go on forever :thumb:

I know it's not strictly kosher, and is sure against CAMRA's idea of a hand pump, but a cylinderless simulated hand pump is worth considering, especially if you intend using it with a cornie. Works and feels like just the real thing, but gives you the added security of a firm shut off on the beer flow - no check valve needed. Let's face it, if using a cornie you are not actually serving 'Real Ale' anyway, so why not use a slight cheat that looks the real thing? It's what I use.

Many thanks for all the information. :cheers: I went to a mates house yesterday and his father in law used to be a very good homebrewer ? I left with a part of a beer engine which I can get to work and a wood barrel from Starkey Knight and Ford he has just finished using it as 10 gls a time is two much for him to drink at 80 the barrel has Tiverton on it is this the one in the West Country :party:

:cheers: :D :party: :thumb: [youtube][/youtube]
joe1002 said:
Chris, do you have a link for the homark refurbish kits? I have managed to snap the inlet nipple to the cylinder and am struggling to find a replacement?

joe1002 said:

since topic was discussed colin farrar as stopped doing the refurbishment kits have you any ideas who else stocks them? dave

Hi Dave
I am tied up at the moment and can't have a really good look. :doh:

It might be worth running a Google search on the following, just in case something comes up on their websites.

EWL
Angram
A1barstuff
Booth dispense
Harry Mason

If you don't get any joy, I will phone a couple of contacts next week. :cheers: :cheers:

Hi Dave
I am tied up at the moment and can't have a really good look. :doh:

It might be worth running a Google search on the following, just in case something comes up on their websites.

EWL
Angram
A1barstuff
Booth dispense
Harry Mason

If you don't get any joy, I will phone a couple of contacts next week. :cheers: :cheers:

I have just joined the forum and become owner of a beer engine.

A freind who owns aa pump sadly can't make our family Bonfire party so we turned to eBay to fill the hand pump gap.

Knowing the brand and that spares are easy to come by we purchased a clamp on Angram unit which should arrive shortly. £60+10 postage.

However we also spotted three Harry Mason through-counter units that looked like this might be going cheap, the name stood out as Harry Mason is the name of my great grandfather and hence well know to the family. We secured three pumps at £32 each 'bargin' so I now need to make a counter/cabinate to fit around them somehow!

Daniel

Hi mate,

I have jus
I know it's not strictly kosher, and is sure against CAMRA's idea of a hand pump, but a cylinderless simulated hand pump is worth considering, especially if you intend using it with a cornie. Works and feels like just the real thing, but gives you the added security of a firm shut off on the beer flow - no check valve needed. Let's face it, if using a cornie you are not actually serving 'Real Ale' anyway, so why not use a slight cheat that looks the real thing? It's what I use.
t bought one of these type - I have a Pint 365 which works great, but went for one of these due to price. I serve from Corny kegs so thought this would be a good choice. Never used it, can I ask how they work? Do I need CO2 to push it through; I usually charge my corny to 1.6 vols of CO2 but I am concerned this will be enough to push it to the pump on the cylinderless? Cheers mate.

Back