Beer Engines

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JABB

Reaction score
I have a couple of through bar CM Angram hand pumps which I was going to use, but understand they leave the chamber full on standby. Someone suggested a Worthside leaves the chamber empty in standby, which would help keep the end of the line beer fresher in a low use system.
Can anyone confirm this and if any other makers make empty on standby?
Thanks

I have a few Angram model CO handpumps and use them with cornelius kegs. if I know all four gallons will be supped in a short period (up to a week) I take no real precautions, just draw the ale off and let air in through the blow off valve in the lid. However, if I want it to last longer I use a demand valve (also called a cask breather) which allows a very low blanket pressure of CO2 into the cask as beer is drawn off but also vents excess pressure from any secondary fermentations to prevent the beer being pushed through the handpump valves. I got mine from a cellar suppliers, cost about £25 I think.

Wassail!
Phil

my ale never lasts more than a few weeks anyway! However, as far as I can remember you can get a month or so out of it as the air never comes into contact with the beer as the breather replaces the beer drawn off with CO2 rather than air. If I recall correctly, I got mine mail order from Richard Llewellyn Cellar Supplies but I imagine any cellar services company could provide one. As well as that, you'll need some means of connecting it to the spile of your cask or keg, and you'll need a CO2 bottle and a regulator and gauge. Technically, since you are using extraneous gas as part of the dispense, it no longer constitutes "real ale" but I never lost sleep over things like that!

Wassail!
Phil

Latest posts

Back