Beer experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
Some of you might have already done this, but couldn't find much on here about it. Basically I've no homebrew left, and limited funds to buy beer until payday, but a garage full of crappy bud bought for the family for Christmas pop arounds. Added to this some left over hops in the freezer, my brain gets a thinking about adding hop tea to the bud to make it drinkable.

20g of tettang(gonna use other hops for brews so coiuld sacrifice this one) into a cafetiere of boiling water for 20 mins, pressed, pour into a glass which went into the fridge. 45 mins later I have a drinkable, although not outstanding, beer type thingy using about 25ml of 'juice'. Cheers

Bear Gryls tells us all that urine is "drinkable" so Bud should be a piece of .... oh wait a bit, that's saying the same thing!

Anyway, if anything (and I do mean "anything") will make a Bud palatable then the Hop Tea idea sounds like a reasonable attempt.

Also, have you thought of opening up a can, dropping a bit of a chopped chilli in their, chilling it for an hour or so in the fridge and then straining it into a glass before drinking? I've made Chilli Beer and it gives a beer a great lift on a cold winters night!

Enjoy! :gulp:

I've done it by putting the hops and beer into the Cafetiere and leaving to steep for a minute of two. This would be similar to when bars put a hop filled Randall in between a keg and tap. Works well with Belgian blondes.

Also, have you thought of opening up a can, dropping a bit of a chopped chilli in their, chilling it for an hour or so in the fridge and then straining it into a glass before drinking? I've made Chilli Beer and it gives a beer a great lift on a cold winters night!

Enjoy! :gulp:

I'll take your word for that. Even being a desperate chilli-head, I'm not tempted... some things just aren't meant to be, like meat pie and custard.

I'll take your word for that. Even being a desperate chilli-head, I'm not tempted... some things just aren't meant to be, like meat pie and custard.

Believe me, it's worth a try! I picked up the Chilli Vodka habit out in the Ukraine. Admittedly it was -18*C during the day (I never went out at night!) but it still "translates" as a drink on a cold winter night.:gulp:

The only way I'd add chilli to beer is if I was stitching a friend up, naga chilli rubbed round the rim of the glass would do the trick.

Not sure about the chilli in a beer like.

The tettang probably not the best hop to use for this, but 2 bottles have gone down ok. Defo something I'll consider doing more of, even just to try out combination of hops

You never stop suprising me Gunge. Can't be tempted by a Durham Hellfire? 10% Imperial Stout with Naga and Mullato chilli, added. Lovely drop.

Meat pie and custard. Reminds me of my American brother in laws first UK Christmas, thought were we mental for eating 'Mince' pies and custard.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

You never stop suprising me Gunge. Can't be tempted by a Durham Hellfire? 10% Imperial Stout with Naga and Mullato chilli, added. Lovely drop.

I've just spent the last 30 mins or so hallucinating after a Naga and Trinidad Scorpion curry. The pain, although receding now was horrendous. My recovery is being aided by a pint of ice-cold choc porter, so you may have a point!

I've just spent the last 30 mins or so hallucinating after a Naga and Trinidad Scorpion curry. The pain, although receding now was horrendous. My recovery is being aided by a pint of ice-cold choc porter, so you may have a point!
Eyup!
Gerra bog roll in t'fridge ready for tomorrow morning.

You know you are eating good curries when you sit on the toilet and think "I really don't want to do this!" because the painful heat from the last time is still fresh in your memory.

I lived on a Drillship called the Sagar Bhushan with a crew from Kerala Province which is apparently noted in India for its spicy foods. I never once had the trots but I lost no end of weight for the simple reason that the food was so spicy that I couldn't eat a lot of it.

The chef used to serve up a variety of things with the morning chai and one morning it was a selection of vegetable pakora. From the variety of stuff on the tray I selected what for all the world looked just like a Birdseye Chilli fried in a light batter. I mean, who the hell would batter and fry up a Birdseye Chilli as a snack? Ha! Five seconds later I realised that the cook on the Sagar Bhushan was someone who would do it!

Happy Days!:gulp:

Beer and chilli is good - try pimping one up Mexican style. Bit of lime juice, salt and chilli/tabasco, or go a bit further and add some tomato juice and worcestershire sauce which legitimately turns it into a breakfast drink. Just google Michelada recipes for all manner of fun. Cracking served over ice.

There are some fantastic chilli beers out there. I went to the Extreme Beer Festival in Boston a few years ago and had some amazing chilli stouts and porters. Slumbrew in Boston had some of the best I have every had where you got the heat first and the porter flavour afterwards.

As for improving bud? make a stella shandy from it.

Meat pie and custard. Reminds me of my American brother in laws first UK Christmas, thought were we mental for eating 'Mince' pies and custard.
thanksgiving-3.gif

Back