Beer Gun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate "Beer Guns" (although some people get on okay with them?). Without any counter-pressure (presuming you are filling bottles with carbonated beer) the bottles take forever to fill as you must wait for the foam to die down between busts of fill.

These look pretty neat: Tapcooler Counter Pressure Bottle Filler But I haven't got one and they are a horrendous price (increased markedly over the last month or two). I use a Pegas bottle filler (Russian), but at even greater price and I had to order it from Lithuania (a while back).

I have the blichmann beer gun 2, it does the job well. I've not used anything else though, so can't compare. It largely depends on how many bottles you want to do though. A whole batch? or a couple for saving? The beer gun gets the former done quickly, but I'd be looking for another option for the latter.

I have the last straw with counter pressure add on. It took me a while to get it working properly but now manage without any foaming. Ive never tried other options so dont know how it compares.

The tapcooler peebee linked looks great, if it works I would prefer that as it removes the hassle of switching lines, flushing through etc and would reduce wasteage. I imagine it would be less convenient if doing a lot of bottles tho.

If it's just for a few bottle, just get a carbonation cap. Plenty of youtube videos that show how to use it as a counter pressure filler. I also find it great for cleaning beer lines, or just making fizzy water.

Also have the v2 Blichmann Beer gun. Took quite a bit of practice to get it right and still struggle a bit with highly carbonated beers. As Sadfield said bit of a PITA having to stabilise everything set up gas etc just for a couple.

I prefer using a carb cap to transfer beer to plastic bottles. But if glass is a must i did have 1 off AliExpress it worked fine just get the beer as cold as possible

The trick with the beer gun is really really cold beer and low pressure when filling. It's a bit of a hazzle to be honest. Mostly I just use a carbonation cap with a tube. Works great on Pet bottles. For glass the easiest I've found is to use a poor mans beer gun with a rubber stopper. Google it.

Back