Beer tasting/appreciation books

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaChild

Reaction score
Hi!

Can anybody recommend a book to help with my beer tasting/appreciation. In particular I'd like to 'learn' how to taste some of the aromas listed on bottled ales - I see 'citrus' a lot and regularly cannot pick out some of the flavours (e.g., melon, kiwi, etc). Fruit beers, etc, are easy but when the taste is subtle I sometimes struggle... Sure I can about taste it when I'm looking out for it but would never be able to taste blind and find these aromas myself. Any books, etc, dealing with this part of beer appreciation?

Thanks.

PS - I hope this is the correct forum. I noted a sub-forum for beer reviews but as this is not a review, but a request for recommendation, it did not seem appropriate. Please move if this assumption was incorrect.

I can recommend this book. I was somewhat blind to craft type beers and this gave me a good grounding of the types, flavours, science and ways of tasting. It's a little basic perhaps but a good stepping stone onto more detailed books which I'm sure others can recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
naturals said:
I can recommend this book. I was somewhat blind to craft type beers and this gave me a good grounding of the types, flavours, science and ways of tasting. It's a little basic perhaps but a good stepping stone onto more detailed books which I'm sure others can recommend.

Looks good. Think I'll press buy sometime shortly.

Any other recommendations to help teach these tastebuds??
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back