Beer too sweet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Google

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have just finished a batch of St. Peter's IPA and its bloody sweet, no really it's sickly sweet. Fermentation had finished and I added the prescribed amount of sugar before kegging up but it now tastes a little less pleasant than I was hoping.

Is there any way of reducing the sweetness? I'm thinking along the lines of back in the airing cupboard with some more yeast but don't want to end up ruining it (anymore).

Thanks in advance.

Have you taken any hydrometer readings ? had the brew finished fermenting before you primed and kegged ?

Must admit I have failed on the Hydro readings as with the kits I tend to wait until it stops bubbling then give it a week and that has served me well.

Just took a reading at 1.015

give it a few more days and take another reading. When you get 2 or 3 readings the same its time to keg or bottle.

Sorry. I have already keged it and its been sitting in the cool for a fortnight. According to the kits you keg it with a bit of sugar which I did and it now tastes pretty sweet.

Did you put it somewhere warm for a week before moving it somewhere cooler?
Have done this a few times and mine have always finished at 1.012 so you might have kegged it a wee bit early but it'll be fine. If it's only been in the keg 2 weeks it will still be sweet but it'll lessen as it matures
:cheers:

That's reassuring. Left it for 4 days in warm ish place but then moved it so that fits. Will try to keep away from it for a bit and see what happens.

Thanks for the help chaps

It needs way longer than 4 days in the warm for secondary fermentation to complete.

Stick it in a warm (21 degrees) place for another week and a half. (I always leave the bottles / kegs for 2 weeks in the warm) than to a cool place (12 degrees) to condition.

Sounds like the sugar hasn't femented out yet.

Back