Under pitching with Lallemand East Coast Ale yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I brewed a 31L batch of session IPA last night, OG=1.044, mashed at 66°C. Usually when I brew 30+ litres I pitch two packets of dried yeast and that was my plan this time. Unfortunately, when I went to my fridge I found only one pack of Lallemand East Coast Ale yeast which was slightly past it's expiry date (but fridge stored the whole time). I've used this yeast before and even with two sachets it finished quite high (maybe 1.015 for a similar starting OG). Someone mentioned that it is very sensitive to pitch rate and looking at the packet the recommended pitch rate is 1g per litre, so this is about 2/3 below that recommendation. As manufacturers pitch rates are generally quite low I'm worried it might stall out.

The earliest I could get more of this yeast is maybe Tuesday but I could probably get some other yeast from Wilko or a local brewery that does homebrew supplies.

I'm not sure whether to try to add a different yeast later today, wait for the correct yeast in 2-3 days or just leave it alone and see how it goes?

I've set it to ferment at 20°C and could raise this up a few degrees to help it finish. I'm not too worried about esters as it was meant to be a fruity hoppy beer. I'm more worried about it finishing really sweet.

Any thoughts welcome.

I would see how it is going on Tuesday, but I would expect it to be fine as it is. Storing in a fridge is generally a good idea with yest!

It's only a 1044 beer but it's 31 litres and the yeast is known to have a low cell count and the date isn't too favourable. I don't think I would have relied on it. I've never used New England but if you had a 1015 FG with two packets before it suggests it may struggle with one pack. I would be very tempted to add more yeast and the question is when really. Flavour is generated by yeast in the first 2/3 days of activity, I think. You could add a Wilko yeast or similar after a day or two. You don't want to leave it too long because in my experience a second yeast needs a decent run at the wort if it is going to seriously impact FG. Unless it is diastatic. Lallemand recommends Belle Saison for shifting a late stuck fermentation. I would say don't let the gravity drop below 50% of the OG. As a rough guide. The other issue is stress. If your yeast is old and has a low cell count that could impact the beer anyway. So the safest thing to do is probably to add yeast asap. Though I doubt the New England will really freak out and do something weird.

It seems to have turned out OK with just the one packet of yeast. It's gone down to 1.013 which is a bit higher than the 1.011 I was aiming for and equates to 70% attenuation compared to the guide figure of 75%. Still I'm reasonably happy with the result which tasted pretty balanced due to 200g of hops in the whirlpool.

I fermented a bit higher at 20.5°C for the first 3 days and then bumped it up to 23.5°C for another 4 days. That seems to have prevented it sticking at an unacceptably high FG.

Just waiting to give it 300g of Citra, Mosaic, Cascade and Vic Secret.

Latest posts

Back