beersmith 2 settings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjobooboo

Reaction score
hi guys Ive just purchased beersmith 2 and I am trying to set up my equipment profile, but as normal Im confused :doh: Im starting out with BIAB I have a 50L pan, 50L biab bag. so i need to know roughly how much water Id start with to complete the mash, and 90 mins boil to end up with 23L in the FV?thanks for the advice

Cant you look at your notes from your previous brews?

If it's your first brew then I'd advise just going with whatever Beersmith says, take notes and then adjust when the brew's finished.

K

I did 2 BIAB brews before going 3vessel AG.

For 23 litre brews and 90 minute boil I found I needed 35 litres per boil volume

ECLIPSE said:
I did 2 BIAB brews before going 3vessel AG.

For 23 litre brews and 90 minute boil I found I needed 35 litres per boil volume

I do BIAB in a 47 Litre pot ( 50 US Quarts) , Mash in Volume 35 litres of water and usually hit 23 Litres Into Fermenter after a 90 min boil depending on the ambient temperature (Brewing Outdoors).

You might want to join the BIABrewer forum, they have a spreadsheet which looks daunting but once you get over the initial shock its very easy to use and it gives you all of volumes that you need based upon the dimensions of your brew kettle.

Don't let all of the figures scare you too much , on my first brew I was totally overwhelmed by all of the numbers I was expected to enter into the software. I shouldn't have worried and nor should you. BIAB produces fantastic beer.

Good Luck

Phil,

If you know someone whom uses that software already they can send you the profile which matches your kit just kindly ask them to export the file and email it too you. I think most likely to get it from the Beersmith forum - always helpful on that site.

1) Obtain the .bsmx file
2) Go to the Beersmith>Profiles>equipment
3) Select Open (under the style icon on same page)
4) Import file.

I cannot remember exactly how, but that profile should load everytime you create a recipe unless you have to select it manually.

Incidently, if anyone has this software and uses a Braumeister 20L - I have a copy of the profile (.bsmx) to email you just PM me.

Hi phil. I find it easier to work backwards,so in Equipment Profile-Edit, change the "Final Batch Volume" to 23litres then "save". All the volumes should automatically adjust to a 23 litre batch.
The "Mash Profile" also needs to be set up as the grain/water ratio will affect the total start water volume.
Add a recipie,making sure you are using the Equipment and Mash profiles you have just set up.
The total water volume needed can be viewed in "Timer" at the top of the page.

Back