Beginners Guide to Water Treatment

Discussion in 'Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water' started by strange-steve, Aug 12, 2016.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 23, 2019 #921

Drunkula

Drunkula

Drunkula

Landlord.

In some tests I did going from one end of sulphate to chloride ratio to the other the one with loads of sulphate was horribly dry to the point of being perceived as astringent. It was real sucking a teabag time.

Winterbournebrewery likes this.
  2. Dec 23, 2019 #922

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

I think some people don't get on with that sulphate dryness, myself included. I don't like a lot of sulphate in any beer, but some people seem to love that flavour in their IPAs.

Drunkula likes this.
  3. Dec 24, 2019 #923

Drunkula

Drunkula

Drunkula

Landlord.

I think I found the typical boundaries from either Palmer or Jamil and they said 5:1 sulphate to chloride is as far as you should reasonable go, so I went to 7:1 and 9:1 to really get a feel for what differences it makes. Going OTT on sulphate is really evident, on calcium chloride it was the opposite and off the top of my head everything from 1:3 to 1:9 just tasted kinda mellow and fine.

I'm really glad I did the extreme splits as it was only about 8 bottles of each and even the eye-twitchers were ok with pop or in a beef pie (with about 8 pots of redcurrant jelly).

Merry Chrismas, Steve-o.

4. Dec 24, 2019 #924

Argentum

Argentum

Argentum

Expanding upon the mEq acid strength of nominal (or typical) lots of Acidulated Malt:

~0.31 mEq/gram at pH 5.2
    ~0.32 mEq/gram at pH 5.3
    ~0.33 mEq/gram at pH 5.4
    ~0.34 mEq/gram at pH 5.5
    ~0.35 mEq/gram at pH 5.6
    ~0.37 mEq/gram at pH 5.8
    ~0.38 mEq/gram at pH 6.0

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  5. Jan 11, 2020 #925

ChrisPDuck

ChrisPDuck

ChrisPDuck

Am I right in thinking I need more info to populate either Bru N Water or BrewFathers water profile?

I've read until my brain hurts (WTF are so many different compounds expressed as CaCO3?)

Anyway I seem to be missing Calcium and Bicarbonate and have tried to calculate these from what I have and / or adjust the missing value until it balances but I just can't get believable results to balance.

Can anyone shed any light on this for someone trying to take their first steps into water treatment.

Attached Files:

6. Jan 12, 2020 #926

Argentum

Argentum

Argentum

If total hardness is 83 ppm, then magnesium can not be 44 ppm. Is it possible that your magnesium is 4.4 ppm?

7. Jan 12, 2020 #927

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

@ChrisPDuck I agree with @Argentum, 44 ppm magnesium would give a hardness of about 180 ppm, and that's before you add the calcium. So something is not right.

You could get yourself a Salifert Ca kit to test the calcium for yourself, then you could estimate the magnesium from that.

Bicarbonate can be worked out by multiplying alkalinity as CaCO3 by 1.22 which in your case (assuming it's correct) is 99 ppm bicarbonate.

8. Jan 17, 2020 #928

ChrisPDuck

ChrisPDuck

ChrisPDuck

G
    Got the Salifert kits you recommend @strange-steve, thanks for what (I think) are idiot proof instructions.

However talking of idiot proof... Is a Alkalinity of ~5ppm as CaCO3 believable?
    Carried out the test twice and both times it turned colour on the 3rd drop of reagent leaving the plunger at 0.98ml which translates to 0.3dKH or 5.37ppm as CaCO3

Calcium kit turned on the 4th drop leaving 0.96ml in the syringe which I belive means a Calcium concentration of 20ppm?

Perhaps I should start making Pilsners instead of stouts ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  9. Jan 23, 2020 #929

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

@ChrisPDuck sorry for the delay. It sounds like you've got some very soft water there, I thought mine was soft with 30 ppm alkalinity. To be sure, you could take a litre of water and add 0.25g of sodium bicarbonate to it, stir it in well and then retest the alkalinity. This should increase the alkalinity by about 150 ppm.

10. Jan 24, 2020 #930

ChrisPDuck

ChrisPDuck

ChrisPDuck

Cheers Steve, will give that a crack but I guess I'm not too far off...
    I brewed today with water treatment and aiming for a mash PH of 5.32 I recorded 5.41 which doesn't feel a million miles off for my first attempt.
    Will let you know how it turned out when it's done.

Adjustments were made as below with the starting profile based on measurements taken from the Salifert kits this morning and water report for other values

Screenshot_20200124_200621_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200124_200631_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    strange-steve likes this.
  11. Jan 24, 2020 #931

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

Good job. PH 5.41 is pretty much spot on, hope it turns out well :thumba:

Draft saved Draft deleted