Beginner's s problem! yeast not starting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison

Reaction score
Hi I have started my first go at Red currant wine but it isn't fermenting after 7 hours. It is a red bordeaux yeast. One article said it could be because i had the lid on the plastic bucket when waiting for the Camden tablet to work (before adding the yeast) so the gasses couldn't escape. I only have 4.5l in a 3 gallon bucket. Do you think this is right and if so can I now do anything about it? Thankyou Alison

7 hours isn't a very long time - I wouldn't be pressing the panic button until at least 24 hours. Also, what temperature do you have the wine at?
Is around 22 but i did stick the bucket in boiling water thinking it may help, then thought after a few mins it prob wouldn't so took it out again!

Buy a few basic first step books,Most homebrew shops sell them and read up. Much Much less confusing and more informing than online which in its turn then becomes a wonderfull source of information once you have the basics.

Latest posts

Back