Belgian Malt Profile?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Welp, my local don't stock any real Belgian malt, just Lager Malt, so I'll use that in place of Pilsner Malt. Close enough for me.

My plan's to brew a full size brew at about 4% with just lager bittering hops to about 35 IBU, then take a gallon of this beer and add malt extract to about 1.070, then ferment with belgian ale yeast and bottle for my christmas beer. I hope that sentence made sense.

The remaining 3-4 gallons will be dry hopped with loads of IPA hops and drank soon.

What can I add to make the malt profile a little more belgian style while still being IPA friendly? I'm looking for something akin to Duvel, maybe with some crystal character. Munich, Caramunich, Vienna etc? What adjuncts suit? I'm going to avoid candi sugar as I don't have a sugar thermometer and I'm only doing a gallon, but is there a decent substitute?

Cheers! :cheers:

Duvel is made of pilsner malt and plain sugar only. It's the yeast that makes beer "Belgian style".

Interesting, I'll keep it in mind. What *can* I use without breaking style? I'm not specifically after a Duvel clone, just a guideline beer...

biscuit malt , aromatic malt , abbey malt , carahell , any good for you . i use around 200g and you notice the difference just nicely .

Most of Belgian beers are quite simple, pilsner malt, sugar, special B if it has to be darker than gold.

Back