Belgian Tripel/IPA kind of a thing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMumbler

Landlord.
Reaction score
Inspired by La Rulles and Houblon Chouffe. The first draft (only just noticed the pun there) below. This version is more along the lines of a tripel, the other option would be go with more hopping with more throughout I guess and some dry hops.
Brewlength 23.00 L
Estimated
1.077 OG
1.019 FG (likely to go a bit lower)
52 IBU (tinseth)
7.5% abv (likely to go higher)
Color 15°SRM, 38 EBC

Ingredients
6.50 kg Belgian two-row
0.90 kg Jaggery (add last 15 mins)

30.00 g Simcoe Whole 90 minutes
30.00 g Simcoe Whole 10 minutes
30.00 g Amarillo Whole 10 minutes
20.00 g Amarillo Whole 0 minutes

WLP 550 reclaimed from single

I'm tempted to up the hops a bit even for this one tbh since I don't think I get the best utilistation on my system.

It looks a nice recipe and the hopping schedule is right up my street with the simcoe and amarillo :thumb:
I'd definately have your recipe in the IPA class rather than a Belgian tripel.....it's far too hoppy really to be in that category.

Let us know what you go with and how it turns out please :thumb:

Thanks for the feedback :)

Actually IBU wise it isn't far outside of what the BJCP deem to be correct for a tripel and I expect the IBU will be a bit lower as I don't get all that vigorous a boil plus hops tend not to actually have the aa% on the packet. There isn't much point in getting hung up on what style any given beer is IMO, I'm just trying to give a frame of reference for people who haven't tried the beers I'm inspired by. If I wanted to go US IPA style but with belgian yeast I think I'd be adding more hops and upping the IBU to 80 at least but I'm erring towards something more at the tripel end of the spectrum.

I've always had it in my mind that Belgians of that strength are 30-35 IBU with a lot of malt charachter (quite high FG) to balance the alcohol content.
I tend not to get too hung up on that sort of stuff either but the 'style guidlines' are a useful starting point when developing recipies :)

markp said:
I've always had it in my mind that Belgians of that strength are 30-35 IBU with a lot of malt charachter (quite high FG) to balance the alcohol content.
I tend not to get too hung up on that sort of stuff either but the 'style guidlines' are a useful starting point when developing recipies :)
Typically tripels (indeed most trappist ales) use some sugar and have high attenuation leading to a low FG, one of the reasons they are surprisingly quaffable for the abv. Brew like a monk reckons Westmalle tripel has 88% attenuation.

Looks good, I don't think you want to push the hop flavour much more, I'm just sampling my BPA and the hops swamp the Belgian flavours quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back