Berkshire Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photek1000

Reaction score
The current brew I am drinking is the Festival Pilgrims Hope, it's a nice beer but it has a slight medicinal aftertaste, I first thought this was because I dry hopped it for too long but from a bit of reading I understand this can come from chlorine in the water.

The water for this batch was treated with a campden tablet, half to 3/4, in 23 litres of water, and that was left standing overnight before I used it.

I thought that should have removed the chlorine\chloramine, am I wrong, should I have used more or less campden tablet, was it the fact the water stood for a long time, or was the tablet (powdered) not mixed in well enough?

As in the subject, I'm in Berkshire (Reading) so Thames Water.

The current brew I have conditioning was treated the same but the water only stood for about an hour, so we'll see how that turns out.

Or could this aftertaste be something else?

I live fairly close to Reading (Thames water) and have not noticed any medicinal aftertaste. All I do to my water is boil for 15mins before and add 1tsp of citric acid.

Back