Best Ever Pop Song

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.

I consider "pop" mainstream radio music. And I don't really like mainstream radio music. I mostly stopped listening to it in the summer of 1982, when I discovered hardrock and heavy metal. Trying to find music from friends (tapes yes, we don't apologise for that), music from the library, of course also buying music.

Digitisation of music opened more avenues, moving and discovering other libraries also expanded my views (Muse, Korn and Napalm Death, stoner rock), also more into jazz, but also heavy metal and hardrock bands that I didn't know.

Spotify even opened up more avenues, and there are many very good bands which range from obscure to mostly unknown, that produce better music than what is available on radio.

So, best pop song? That is a difficult one. But there are some numbers that stand out in my memory.
  • Dillinger - Cocaine in my Brain
  • Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
  • Chicago - If You Leave me Now
Don't talk about the 80's. Musically, that is a period I like to suppress. For me the best albums of that period are "Breaker" by Accept, and "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden.

I did like grunge, but it suppressed here other styles like stoner rock, and I am not altogether convinced by the label "alternative <whatever>".

I was pretty much the same re 80s pop music...mainly a pile of dross.
Moved to Manchester to uni and spent many nights in the local rock clubs, as I have grown older and wiser (?) I listen to mainly older blues music, the foreru ner of today's rock and rock 'n' roll of course.

Jimmy has aged well and his voice still sounds the same as it did in 1984 -

Been down a rabbit hole on this one....
Spent all afternoon bouncing about YouTube reliving my youth.

I present to you
Torn by Natalie Imbruglia

Hey Ya! by Outkast

Faith by George Micheal

Final couple that are my faves

My childhood crush

My wife's childhood crush

My everlasting crush

Been down a rabbit hole on this one....
Spent all afternoon bouncing about YouTube reliving my youth.

I present to you
Torn by Natalie Imbruglia

Hey Ya! by Outkast

Faith by George Micheal

Final couple that are my faves

My childhood crush

My wife's childhood crush

My everlasting crush

Love all those, particularly Morten Harket 😍 😁

Back