Best Fermentors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbangoose

Reaction score
Morning brewers

I have been brewing now for a couple of years and regular brew a couple of 30l batches each month distributed to circa 20 individuals in support of local charity fund raising. I have noticed recently that my plastic brewing buckets are looking past there best and thinking of splashing out into new better quality fermentation vessels. I don’t have C02 capabilities (all beer is bottled and empties collected and recycled) and given the price of yeast haven’t harvested (and no current plans to) ... just sending if anyone has any recommendation?

Thanks all

The “normal” plastic buckets are probably as good as any if you aren’t pressure fermenting.

Having said that, I have one of the Spiedel fermenting barrels and would recommend it because I think it’s great. Easier to clean than a normal bucket and seems to be less susceptible to staining/scratches.

Last edited:
I agree with @MickDundee. I've got a couple of 30l and a couple of 20l Speidels, but I tend to do the primary fermentation in 3 "7 gallon" buckets I got decades ago from Hop and Grape when John and Patsy ran it. They're scratched to burglary, got bits of scale that I can't remove and they still work perfectly. Each cleaned with dilute bleach after each brew. Change your buckets if you must, but you probably don't to for another few years.

I make home made wine as well as beer and use the plastic wine fermenters for rhe beer. Smaler hole in the top but who cares. I wrap it up with a quilt and bung it in the corner.

I use the Speidel Fermenters as well. 3x30, 1x20 and 2 x 10 really rate them, however I find the tap next to useless for decanting to bottling bucket, it has a hole in that lets air in, you can turn it round but it still doesn't seem to work correctly to me. Does anybody use the taps to drop to the bucket and find it works?

I've got an Anvil: Blichmann Anvil 7.5 Gallon Stainless Bucket Fermentor

I like the rotating arm, which helps keep all the lees in the vessel and all the beer in the keg/bottles. It's completely airtight, so keeps the oxygen out. The bottom isn't as angled as a conical, but it does funnel the lees down a bit. It's all stainless steel, including the tap, which doesn't scratch and is a breeze to clean. I managed to stack a load of black Friday codes and get it for half the normal price, but it is a bit expensive at full price. Then again, it will last a lifetime. Also, it's shiny.

I use the Speidel Fermenters as well. 3x30, 1x20 and 2 x 10 really rate them, however I find the tap next to useless for decanting to bottling bucket, it has a hole in that lets air in, you can turn it round but it still doesn't seem to work correctly to me. Does anybody use the taps to drop to the bucket and find it works?
That's the only down side I found with using them. The tap is useless. I bought a length of hose and attached a bottling wand. My cheaper fermentors I can bottle straight from the tap

That's the only down side I found with using them. The tap is useless. I bought a length of hose and attached a bottling wand. My cheaper fermentors I can bottle straight from the tap
So can you use it without dragging O2 in? I have attached with a jubilee and still get bubbles in?

I like my Grainfather conical fermenter. Bit expensive but cheaper than an SS Brewtech with all the bells and whistles. It has some nice high end features such as the 2-way valve and the built in heater. The only other downside is that it won’t easily go in a fridge so you can’t do anything below ambient temperature without some sort of chiller, which adds further to the cost. I get round that by brewing lagers in the colder months and any cold crashing has to take place once the beer’s been kegged/bottled and can then go in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back