Best lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil1987

Reaction score
Hi still waiting on my starter kit coming so I'm not even s beginner yet so go easy. I'm ment to be getting mangrove jacks gold lager kit with the equipment anyone know if its any good? I'm already looking ahead to the next one what's a good lager style kit to make?

I don't tend to do many straight lager kits much, as I'm more of an IPA man these days, but I always had really good results with Cooper's European Lager and it is a lovely pint and similar to Becks (although Becks is brewed in the UK now though and isn't as good now though). I picked up a Wilko's Artisan larger kit a few months ago when they had their sale on which I'll be putting on soon.

Anyway, back to the European lager, I remember the once finding a couple of bottles in my stash in my garage that were 12 months or so old and it was excellent.

I was also a fan of the Mexican Cooper's Cerveza with a slice of lime.

It depends on the styles you like but hopefully a couple of good pointers for you.

I don't tend to do many straight lager kits much, as I'm more of an IPA man these days, but I always had really good results with Cooper's European Lager and it is a lovely pint and similar to Becks (although Becks is brewed in the UK now though and isn't as good now though). I picked up a Wilko's Artisan larger kit a few months ago when they had their sale on which I'll be putting on soon.

Anyway, back to the European lager, I remember the once finding a couple of bottles in my stash in my garage that were 12 months or so old and it was excellent.

I was also a fan of the Mexican Cooper's Cerveza with a slice of lime.

It depends on the styles you like but hopefully a couple of good pointers for you.
Thanks for that heard good things about coopers European and also Canadian blonde when you do the cooper kits do you use beer enhancer or spray malt? I love most lagers I buy a lot of different german beers from beers of Europe been looking for Oktoberfest kits or even good German ones but cant seam to locate any

I usually go for straight brewing sugar on my lagers. I'm not a big fan of the Canadian Blonde the two times I have done it. The last one which was quite recently actually I tried 50/50 sugar and spray malt and again still not for me I'm afraid and doubt I'll do it again.

Your lager preference is similar to mine by the sounds of it - decent European ones. I've done the Cooper's European kit several times and have never been disappointed. The usual rule goes though, (unfortunately 😁)the longer you leave it the better.

I have been looking at the mangrove jacks helles one and muntons gold continental pills but cant seem to find reviews for kits other than odd ones on amazon

I've never tried them so can't say I'm afraid. I've recently bottled a Cooper's Wheat beer and maybe just today transferred it to my fridge where I'll leave it for a couple of weeks before I try it.

I've go the Mangrove Jack Gold lager on the go now. Brewed it a couple of days ago. Used 1.2kg of light liquid malt extract with it. I am brewing as per the instructions, and hoping for a decent summer drink for the missus. She keeps complaining that I am being selfish in my brews, as I mainly do IPAs and occasional stout. To really get in her good books, I've bought a Youngs Strwberry and Lime cider kit to do next. Never done a cider, so any tips would be welcomed.
The only other lager kit I've done is the Wilco Mexican cerveza, which turned out ok.

Just drinking the Wilkos Mexican Cerveza and very happy with it, so worth a try, got the Mangrove Jacks Lager kit on order so your will probably arrive before I get mine on. The one thing that I learned the hard way is that Lager needs Bottling not putting in a pressure barrel, welcome to the forum its a wealth of knowledge and very friendly.
Happy Brewing
Cheers
Geoff

I usually go for straight brewing sugar on my lagers. I'm not a big fan of the Canadian Blonde the two times I have done it. The last one which was quite recently actually I tried 50/50 sugar and spray malt and again still not for me I'm afraid and doubt I'll do it again.

Your lager preference is similar to mine by the sounds of it - decent European ones. I've done the Cooper's European kit several times and have never been disappointed. The usual rule goes though, (unfortunately 😁)the longer you leave it the better.
The Coopers Canadian Blonde turned out a little on the anaemic side for me too. I'm not normally a lager drinker but the Euro lager was fine and I did a few when I did kits . I brewed mine with 500g light DME and 500g dextrose. For me I think you need the DME to increase the maltiness but you also need the dextrose to give it a little dryness. The only slight drawback to doing this kit is that it can take 12 weeks or so to really come good, although its certainly drinkable before then. The best one I opened was one about 8 months old. They will improve with a small dry hop or hop tea Saaz or Hallertau to suit the style are best. There is another similar kit by Coopers the 86 day Pilsner, but I preferred the Euro lager although there wasn't much in it
Kit review is here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/coopers-european-lager-review.17845/

Just drinking the Wilkos Mexican Cerveza and very happy with it, so worth a try, got the Mangrove Jacks Lager kit on order so your will probably arrive before I get mine on. The one thing that I learned the hard way is that Lager needs Bottling not putting in a pressure barrel, welcome to the forum its a wealth of knowledge and very friendly.
Happy Brewing
Cheers
Geoff
I wouldnt bet on it I ordered it over a week ago was ment to be posted on friday but says it's still processing online but they are closed until Tuesday now so looks like end of the week at a minimum . I've got 1kg spray malt to put in it

I've got the Youngs Harvest Pilsener in the fv at the moment, my second kit after a lengthy absence from home brewing, remembered it as a pretty punchy, easy to make lager which cleared nicely.
Reading around it has some positive reviews, especially with a bit of tweaking although I have kept it simple with
the prescribed 1.5 kg of brewing sugar.
Will be bottling this lot so have been debating crown caps or flip tops. I struggled with a hand held capper in the past so will likely invest in a bench capper but will probably get a mixture of both types.
I'm assuming lager is'nt really suitable in a pb for reasons of serving cold and keeping it well carbed enough.

Found this kit recipe while I was searching around Oktoberfest

I have been looking at the mangrove jacks helles one and muntons gold continental pills but cant seem to find reviews for kits other than odd ones on amazon
I can help with the MJ Helles lager. I did this on 20/02/20 with a kilo of enhancer and had an O.G. of 1048.It took until 27/03 to stabilise at 1005 so ABV of 5.6% above my normal level! Reviews suggested it was over hoppy so I chickened out of using all the hops but put 6gms of each variety supplied in on 09/03. Two weeks inside the after a week out in the cool very drinkable and keeps a head. For my taste it could have taken more of the hops but my guess is that full 20gms supplied would have made it a bit one dimensional. I should add that I used Lidl spring water. It is better now having been in the bottle longer but does not react well to a heavy chill. I have not experienced a chill haze but pour the last quarter of the bottle into a separate glass to avoid the whole drink being clouded. My guess is that the greater compression of the gas through chilling down creates a more forceful release on opening which lifts the residue of yeast off the bottom and I wonder if finings would resolve this in future. I intend to do this again some time but would up the hops. Hope this is of some use.

I can help with the MJ Helles lager. I did this on 20/02/20 with a kilo of enhancer and had an O.G. of 1048.It took until 27/03 to stabilise at 1005 so ABV of 5.6% above my normal level! Reviews suggested it was over hoppy so I chickened out of using all the hops but put 6gms of each variety supplied in on 09/03. Two weeks inside the after a week out in the cool very drinkable and keeps a head. For my taste it could have taken more of the hops but my guess is that full 20gms supplied would have made it a bit one dimensional. I should add that I used Lidl spring water. It is better now having been in the bottle longer but does not react well to a heavy chill. I have not experienced a chill haze but pour the last quarter of the bottle into a separate glass to avoid the whole drink being clouded. My guess is that the greater compression of the gas through chilling down creates a more forceful release on opening which lifts the residue of yeast off the bottom and I wonder if finings would resolve this in future. I intend to do this again some time but would up the hops. Hope this is of some use.
Correction! It took until 14/03 to stabilise which is when I bottled it and tried the first 200cc trial bottle on 27/03 which was very drinkable.

So once beer is finished fermenting do you raise the temperature for a few days then bottle , store bottles at room temperature for a few weeks then store them at around 1 degree for a few weeks?

So once beer is finished fermenting do you raise the temperature for a few days then bottle , store bottles at room temperature for a few weeks then store them at around 1 degree for a few weeks?
No bottle when fermentation finished and keep inside for two weeks to achieve secondary fermentation then move to a cooler place to clear and mature. Keep out of sunlight and electric light to prevent possible reaction with hops creating "skunky" taste.

No bottle when fermentation finished and keep inside for two weeks to achieve secondary fermentation then move to a cooler place to clear and mature. Keep out of sunlight and electric light to prevent possible reaction with hops creating "skunky" taste.
I'm fermenting outside and in scotland wife didnt want beer in house ... got a mdf box built where fv sits over a 1.6kw heater (she pays electric bill😂) so I'll bottle then stack in box crank heating up a bit any recommendations? Then I'll transfer them to auld mans hut I read that it's best to store atleast 5 degrees lower than serving so I'll hook his fridge upto inkbird to keep them around 1 degree

Correction! It took until 14/03 to stabilise which is when I bottled it and tried the first 200cc trial bottle on 27/03 which was very drinkable.

That's interesting. So it took 23 days.
The Mangrove Jack Gold that I have brewing is really taking its time. Gravity reading started out at a pitiful 1.040, and after 14 days was at 1.017. I've just tested again ( Day 17) and it is now 1.014. Instructions on the box say you should be looking to achieve an SG of 1.006, but I can't see that happening.

Back