Best way to transfer from FV to PB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OR.... ive cut an inch off the tube to use as a mouth piece sanitise it all and the short length and pop the short bit on the inline tap exit spout to suck on when full pull off the mouth piece and save till next time leaving a nice sterile syphon and tap thats never touched ur mouth.

Anaerobic bacteria can live in your mouth. At the concentrations on the end of your syphon they're not going to do a great deal but if you're storing the beer for a long period of time it may have some effect.

After all, you've gone to the effort of sanitising everything, why stick it in your mouth? Seems mad.

You'll probably be fine not sanitising every time you brew assuming you've washed everything perfectly well, after all when beers were first being brewed, I doubt they had starsan or oxycleaners. It's just a reduction of risk rather than a thou-must-do.

Continue syphoning by mouth by all means if it works for you, but it's considerably more pleasant to use a sanitised solution or just plain ol' water to suck it through.

I did like this:

It is often stated in homebrewing lore that you can simply gargle with vodka or some other high-proof alcoholic beverage and then use your mouth to start a siphon without fear of contamination. But based on the effectiveness of alcohol, this does not seem to be such a wise idea. First of all, alcohol's ability to kill bacteria, i.e., denature proteins, is constrained by the total amount of organic material present, which for the average mouth is a fair amount depending on when the last meal was consumed. Second, an 80-proof beverage such as vodka is only 40 percent alcohol and most organisms are not killed in less than five minutes at this concentration. For this method to be effective, you would have to gargle with 120 proof rum or something of equal strength for 10 to 15 minutes, by which time you probably would have forgotten about brewing. Rather than risk contamination, use a small tube that fits into the end of the racking hose and suck on that to start the siphon. Once the siphon starts, remove the small piece of tubing before the wort reaches it and you don't risk contamination.

http://realbeer.com/jjpalmer/cleaning.html

I have made wines and when racking I always suck the siphon pipe.

Paul you sound like you have a lot of time in your study......... good for you , unfortunately I don't.

I will be using Milton also so it can't really be done as I have been told it needs to be rinsed.......

But you can still fill the pipe with the last rinse of clean water rather than solution to get the beer going down the pipe.

I'm sure I read in the Cjj Berry First steps in winemaking, that when racking you suck and its great because you get a taste of your wine!

70 plus A/G brews countless wines and I have never sterilized my mouth piece on a syphonng tube. I think this is down to the fact that you have more good bacteria in on your lips than bad, if you didn't your lips would rot and fall off. My sterilizing proceedures are extremely liberal, to say the least, but as I said...never lost one yet.

I have a little push fit tap -I suck on that then remove the tap before the product gets to the end of the pipe -easy.

When feeling weak I also gather up a few coffee tables from around the house and step the FV up one level at a time- I always lift from under the rim of the FV, this lessens the distance from the Bottom of the FV and the end of your arm= lift height.

If you have a stair case with a half landing you could consider using this as your FV platform, it is also important to fill from the bottom of the Bottle to lessen/eliminate froth build up.

Also if you stand on a strong platform to begin your lift this can also make life easier, remember bend zee knees. :cheers:

johnnyboy1965 said:
70 plus A/G brews countless wines and I have never sterilized my mouth piece on a syphonng tube. I think this is down to the fact that you have more good bacteria in on your lips than bad, if you didn't your lips would rot and fall off. My sterilizing proceedures are extremely liberal, to say the least, but as I said...never lost one yet.

We're from the same school of thought.

I all ways fill syphon pipe with water ,syphon in till the beer comes switch off tap but pb under and fire away.

If you can't get StarSan, go to your local chemist and ask for Videne, it's an antiseptic solution used prior to surgery so needs diluting one hell of a lot.

Buy a syringe when you buy the Videne and mix 1.25ml of videne with 1 litre of water, it's a contact disinfectant and will last for ages, I'm still on my first 500ml bottle after 2 years of brewing, despite not keeping it after the brew day is over :)

There is a sticky somewhere on here all about sanitisers, it's worth finding as there are other options, some very much cheaper even than videne :)

Andysbrew said:
I have a length of clear pipe from home brew shop and I plan to use that, if I take my time hopefully I won't disturb the sediment.

I teach Karate and I don't mind answering the same questions from students as long as they are taking it in, I am black belt in Karate but only white belt in home brewing, hopefully I will learn quickly and produce some good beers!

Every expert was once a beginner!

Cheers!

white belt at brewing! I`ll take you on in a alco-rumble then hiya!! take that girlie squat :x

Latest posts

Back