Biab, chilling neccessary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you should transfer to the fermenter when it is hot.
The pan just goes straight into a sink full of cold water.
Might be wrong.

I reuse those cool box ice blocks and have some of those floating around in the sink too then transfer into the FV when everything is at the correct temp.

Also - I make 15L batches of beer but only have enough room in my pot to boil up 10L. All my grain and hop calculations are made on the full 15L batch size or brew length so my wort is just extra concentrated I guess.

I add 5L of cold water to the FV before the wort gets added and this brings the temp down really quickly.

I BIAB in a 3 gallon brew pot. I stick that in the sink filled with cold water, replacing the water every few mins to begin with.

That cools it down to pitching temperature in about half an hour. Job done.
:thumb:

Rapid cooling will help secure the cold break which is important for a haze free beer and also means that you can get the yeast in quicker and reduce the risk of infection. Having said that people do come up with ingenious methods like placing it in the bath or sink. :thumb:

Before having a chiller I'd put the hot wort into a fermenter and then put in in the bath.

This method works but it still takes hours to get it down to pitching temp.

How about using frozen chiller blocks , or frozen bottles of water , placed into wort ? Any reason NOT to , as long as they are clean ?

Well , they'd have a hard job being substantial if they were small ! :D I know what you mean though , and there is the displacement to take into account - you would need to have the wort in a big container . But you could use them in a water bath to speed things up a bit , some in the wort , some in the bath , sort of thing . If you have a freezer running anyway its not going to cost much or take a lot of effort to sling a few of those little chill packs in plus a couple of PET bottle of water . Got to be worth a try for the minimal investment and overhead , surely ?

Back