Should I adjust my no chill method?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgrace

Reaction score
I have recently switched to no chill brewing. To avoid excess bitterness, I remove the Hop spider containing the boil hops. Then, if there is a hopstand, I allow the wort to cool naturally to 80C and put the hops in a bag for 20 minutes in the wort. After removing the hops I leave it to cool naturally to yeast pitching temperature. This has work well, but I've just received an all grain kit in which the only boil hops go in five minutes before the end, 11.5L batch 21.4g (24 IBU) and 21.4g (10 IBU). This has raised questions about my no chill method for this batch.

Should I follow the instructions putting the first hops into the Hop spider for 5-minutes and then remove the Spider or will that be too short?

Should I keep these hops in the spider until completing the hopstand or will that be too long?

Would it be more simple, for this one, to switch back to the chiller and follow the kit instructions?

Or is there another option that I am not seeing?

I would Work out the hopstand/whirlpool so as to produce the required IBU's myself.
I use Brewers Friend but any of the others will suffice as long as you punch in the correct hops for the correct time and temp that they predict

I would Work out the hopstand/whirlpool so as to produce the required IBU's myself.
I use Brewers Friend but any of the others will suffice as long as you punch in the correct hops for the correct time and temp that they predict
Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your reply, but the issue is not the IBU of the hopstand. I’m bothered about what I should do with the 5 minute hop additions during the boil. I don’t want to leave these hops in the wort while it is cooling naturally to 80C for the hopstand in case too much bitterness is created. Nor do I want to remove the hops too soon and lose bitterness.

I was trying to say do not do the 5 minute boil addition but use them in your normal whirlpool method but calculate the whirlpool to give the same IBU's as the 5 minute boil addition so as to not unbalance the beer IBU wise.
Hope this helps

I was trying to say do not do the 5 minute boil addition but use them in your normal whirlpool method but calculate the whirlpool to give the same IBU's as the 5 minute boil addition so as to not unbalance the beer IBU wise.
Hope this helps
Thanks, that's helpful. Please bear with me while I make an alternative suggestion. I put the 5 minute hops in the spider. When the boil is done I chill the wort with the chiller down to 80C and put the hops in the spider for the hopstand for 20 minutes. I remove the Spider and cool naturally overnight. Would that be o.k?

I would think so but you still need to have a idea of the IBU's it will contribute as the beer will need to be near to the recipe IBU's or it could under bittered or over bittered, failing that you will just have to fly with it and see how it turns out.
Good luck athumb..
And let us know how it turns out

Back