BIAB starter - advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyLee

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to all grain and have done some under supervision with other people's kit, but I'd like to have a BIAB set up very soon at home. I'm tempted by the 23L klarstein beerfest boiler but have seen a smaller grainfather 18L sparge water heater with what looks like a whirlpool arm attached considerably cheaper but not sure if it's suitable. I really need a bit of advice before I take the plunge. Cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

Now I dont own either of these boilers, so hopefully someone who does own either will answer. However, what final size amount of beer do you want (brew length), as neither of these will be large enough for a a full boil. This is because you need to add boil off (the amount of water evaporated during the boil) plus grain absorbtion. So for a full 23L amount like a kit, you need.; 23L + boil off (this is always different for each individual system)+grain absorbtion (I find 1L/1kg works for me, other use other ratios)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. To clarify, the klarstein has 30L capacity and I'm aiming for 20L brew length, but this is not most important for me - I just want to enjoy brewing good quality beer really.

Latest posts

Back