bigger brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmiesterrodd

Reaction score
i have done a couple of turbo ciders now but only in demijon's now i want to make 25 litres at a time as i add one teaspoon of citric to mine do i then have to add 5 teaspoons to 25 litres? :wha: i fint this makes it quite crisp

Yes add 1 tsp per 5 litres :thumb:

if you can get hold of it, try replacing the citric acid with malic acid ;)

Citric acid is what's in citrus fruits like Oranges etc, Malic acid is what's in Apples, that's pretty much all I know, they probably taste different, and because Malic is already in the apple juice it tastes better than citric (I'm guessing that bit :oops: ).

shadow47 said:
Citric acid is what's in citrus fruits like Oranges etc, Malic acid is what's in Apples, that's pretty much all I know, they probably taste different, and because Malic is already in the apple juice it tastes better than citric (I'm guessing that bit :oops: ).
Got it in one shadow 47 :thumb:
Not surprisingly it adds a cidery flavour to drinks ;)

The latin name for any kind of apple is "Malus" so it naturaly follows that Malic Acid comes from Malus..... never realised that before.

Just in case you are into strange facts. did you know that Apples are the ******* cousins of Roses. Malus is a branch of the family Rosaceae

Same as Potatoes and Tomatoes are incredibly closely related both are Solanaceae If you look closely the leaves are similar in look, The potato has a small green fruit which looks like a miniature Tom. in fact its allegedly possible to Graft a tomato plant onto a potato and you get fruit from the top and pots from the ground... Never seen it done though..

Sorry gone off topic a bit....oops.......

Back