Bit of advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kman

Regular.
Reaction score
I've got one of the new coopers brew a IPA kits and also got 1kg of light spraymalt, the guide asks for 1.5kg of extra malt for 23 litres or 1kg for 20 but I also have a brew enhancer 2 there, should I add this brew enhancer or save it? (I plan to do a 50g dry hop of cascade too if that's ok)

No reason you can't add either the hops or beer enhancer.
The bke will up the strength of the brew so depends how much of a kick you want.
The hops will obviously up the hop hit. If you have a demi John/another fv you could hop a fraction of the batch differently.

Assuming you haven't done the kit before so make sure you note what you end up doing so you can recreate or tweak it further/differently in future.

No reason you can't add either the hops or beer enhancer.
The bke will up the strength of the brew so depends how much of a kick you want.
The hops will obviously up the hop hit. If you have a demi John/another fv you could hop a fraction of the batch differently.

Assuming you haven't done the kit before so make sure you note what you end up doing so you can recreate or tweak it further/differently in future.

First time for me this, also it's part of the new range that coopers are doing so I may just add the malt and taste after it fermented and if it not hoppy I've got my 50g of cascade [emoji106]

Hi Folks.
I have also decided to make a Coopers IPA and added a Coopers beer enhancer 2, believing that this held the sugars for fermentation. I also added 300g of sugar for good measure. I got it to 24C and added the yeast packet.24 hours later no sign of fermentation??. I am wondering why nothing is happening. I have never had a none starter before. Is it possible that the yeast was totally dead??. Or indeed my enhancer contains no sugars. I have since read that Coopers beer enhancer contain dextrose.? and acts in the same way as spray malt. Has anyone experienced this before?? Thinking of adding another beer yeast.?? Please advise. Many thanks in advance

Dextrose is brewer's sugar, which is 100% fermentable (or a little less, but for argument's sake) and I believe the rest of Enhancer is DME (mostly fermentable) so you're fine on that front. I've had some dry yeasts take a good 36 hours to show visible signs of fermentation.

Do you still have the yeast packet to check the expiry date? I'd suggest giving it another 12-24 hours and it'll probably end up fine without having to add further yeast.

Did you take a gravity measurement? How much yeast did you pitch?

Hi Folks.
I have also decided to make a Coopers IPA and added a Coopers beer enhancer 2, believing that this held the sugars for fermentation. I also added 300g of sugar for good measure. I got it to 24C and added the yeast packet.24 hours later no sign of fermentation??. I am wondering why nothing is happening. I have never had a none starter before. Is it possible that the yeast was totally dead??. Or indeed my enhancer contains no sugars. I have since read that Coopers beer enhancer contain dextrose.? and acts in the same way as spray malt. Has anyone experienced this before?? Thinking of adding another beer yeast.?? Please advise. Many thanks in advance

Sometimes it takes more than 24 hours for fermentation to kick in. Also, what do you mean by "no sign of fermentation"? if you are looking for airlock activity it could just be that the air is escaping around the lid, which isn't a problem but does mean that the bubbler won't bubble. If there is no krausen and the gravity hasn't dropped after 72 hours, then it could be dud yeast - usually due to poor storage or being out of date. If this is the case you can pitch some more yeast.

Hi Folks.
I have also decided to make a Coopers IPA and added a Coopers beer enhancer 2, believing that this held the sugars for fermentation. I also added 300g of sugar for good measure. I got it to 24C and added the yeast packet.24 hours later no sign of fermentation??. I am wondering why nothing is happening.
If its a Brew A IPA the kit yeast seems to be a slow starter, as others have noticed, look at the review here.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64555
So I would give it at least 48 hours in before you even start to consider whether the yeast is any good or not. And don't rely on your airlock, peek under the lid to see if you have a krausen to be sure (that's peek inside not lift the lid off and leave off for ages)
Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 apparently contains dextrose, maltodextrin and dried malt extract (DME). The dextrose will ferment out completely, the maltodextrin does not ferment out but provides body mouthfeel and head retention whilst the DME mostly ferments out and boosts the malty taste and mouthfeel of the beer.

Just found this courtesy of member Pirate_Pete which gives a breakdown of the 3 Coopers Enhancers
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=613327&postcount=6

Last edited:
Hi lads thanks for quick replies on this one. But this one hasn't started at all it is completely still not a glimmer of foam starting. I will hold off from doing anything drastic for the time being. I normally use Wilko's Spray malts and they have proven to be fine in the paste. I must be a bit too expectant. Thank for giving my hope. Just been for a peek there is some scum appearing now is that the Krausen. I think my brew has started now after all. Thanks for your knowledge and experience much appreciated

Hi lads thanks for quick replies on this one. But this one hasn't started at all it is completely still not a glimmer of foam starting. I will hold off from doing anything drastic for the time being. I normally use Wilko's Spray malts and they have proven to be fine in the paste. I must be a bit too expectant. Thank for giving my hope. Just been for a peek there is some scum appearing now is that the Krausen. I think my brew has started now after all. Thanks for your knowledge and experience much appreciated

What temp are you keeping your brew at ( if it's been left outside you could have shocked/stunted it by low temps ) as it plays a massive factor. Did you rehydrate or just must the yeast btw ?

if in doubt keep it warm near a rad and throw in a wilkos ale yeast its a nottingham type and very good , also dry hop when finished fermenting and racked into a secondary, start with 25g you can all ways add more but cant take away. i find 25-35g is enough on 23ltr kits unless your a hop head , to many hops can spoil a good ale. 1000g (1kg)of spray malt is enough for IPA. . Personally i dont understand some peoples quest for high alcohol in beer, 10 -12 % crazy who wants 7-8% beer two glasses and time for bed. 4- 5% is plenty.

I've got one of the new coopers brew a IPA kits and also got 1kg of light spraymalt, the guide asks for 1.5kg of extra malt for 23 litres or 1kg for 20 but I also have a brew enhancer 2 there, should I add this brew enhancer or save it? (I plan to do a 50g dry hop of cascade too if that's ok)

if you have 1kg of spray instead of 1.5 kg adding a 454g tin of Golden syrup instead will split the difference for you :whistle:

Hi folks, sorry for my late response been busy celebrating new year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO all !

The story so far. I believe it is fermenting now but not at any satisfying rate. There is froth visible.
But only patches of foam floating around nothing like total covering and escaping from the air trap what
we would expect. I may follow Tanzanite idea and add another packet of yeast, surely cant harm anything.
I am still doubting my Coopers beer enhancer No.2, It never said it contained any sugars or dextrose on the box. however
the advertisement does?? but any way there is 300g of sugar added which would start things off.
At present its fallen to 17C. I have moved the brew to sit near/touching a radiator. But the RADs go off at night so isn't
getting a constant temperature of any sort being winter, will have to invest in a heat jacket of sorts.
Thanks Personnel 31 I am thinking your right. Being a slow starting yeast combining the temperature drop playing a part here.But anyway this brewing hobby is great sport at times. Thanks all.

What flavour will the golden syrup impart?
My experience is that you don't notice it in stouts and very dark beers, but for light beers and even ordinary bitters you can taste it (very much like the original stuff), and, as you might expect, that taste is dependant on how much you use. Some may like the taste, but personally I have recently decided I will only use it in stouts from now on.

My experience is that you don't notice it in stouts and very dark beers, but for light beers and even ordinary bitters you can taste it (very much like the original stuff), and, as you might expect, that taste is dependant on how much you use. Some may like the taste, but personally I have recently decided I will only use it in stouts from now on.

I will have to give it a go, thanks for the tip :)

I notice the taste of golden syrup in a blonde beer with only 150g added in 5L but I quite liked it, upping the amount to 200g in 5L was too much I thought. so I would expect a 454g tin in 23 litres in an IPA to not be really that noticeable.

Back