Black cherry and strawberry wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moley said:
When the initial rush of fermentation has died down your jars should be topped up to the base of the neck. Many wines will have a light, fluffy sediment to start with. This will compact, given time. If you are leaving behind any more than 2cm of gunk on first racking you are probably doing it wrong. For a Wurzel there shouldn't be much more than 1cm.

Ok, I have seen other brews compact the sediment but the lumpy one didn't compact (was approx. 10-12cm) and after racking and fining (it had reached .992) it still threw ~4cm of sediment.

So, the question is left, what did I do wrong?

Diesel1.

Hang on, rewind a bit, what do you mean by “lumpy”, what wine is this, how long has it been on-the-go and, if you've got some sort of fruit pulp, what do you use for straining?

Moley said:
Hang on, rewind a bit, what do you mean by “lumpy”, what wine is this, how long has it been on-the-go and, if you've got some sort of fruit pulp, what do you use for straining?

This was a quick orange Wurzel, original recipe, Aldi OJ, it was before Chrimbo and I racked and finished it after New Year. The lumpyness came while it fermented, I thought it looked like juice pulp but I didn't notice anything odd about the OJ.

I have a nylon bag to strain with.

Diesel1.

Diesel1 said:
Moley said:

This was a quick orange Wurzel, original recipe, Aldi OJ, it was before Chrimbo and I racked and finished it after New Year. The lumpyness came while it fermented, I thought it looked like juice pulp but I didn't notice anything odd about the OJ.

I have a nylon bag to strain with.

Diesel1.

Thats strange, something is definately amiss if your talking about a wurzels. Do the lumps lok gelatinous? If they do I have had the same thing happen to me after adding Pectolase, Restraining the must was the order of the day and seemed to work very well.

Im sure moley will be able to help, maybe a picture would make it easier for him to diagnose ze problem.

bandit081 said:
Thats strange, something is definately amiss if your talking about a wurzels. Do the lumps lok gelatinous? If they do I have had the same thing happen to me after adding Pectolase, Restraining the must was the order of the day and seemed to work very well.

That sounds just like it. I will try that if it happens again.

Diesel1.

bandit081 said:
Thats strange, something is definately amiss if your talking about a wurzels. Do the lumps look gelatinous? If they do I have had the same thing happen to me after adding Pectolase, Restraining the must was the order of the day and seemed to work very well.

Im sure moley will be able to help, maybe a picture would make it easier for him to diagnose ze problem.

My straining bag question would only be relevant with something like your cherry & strawberry, you could have quite a bit of pulp passing if the bag was too coarse. Some things like damson can be a bugger even with a fine mesh nylon bag.

As it's a juice wine, dunno, you've got me beat, sounds like something colloidal but I can't think what it could be. :(

Yeah sorry should have said, it happened to me on a Blackberry and sloe i made in the Autumn.

Might be a bad batch of OJ perhaps?

bandit081 said:
Yeah sorry should have said, it happened to me on a Blackberry and sloe i made in the Autumn.

Might be a bad batch of OJ perhaps?

Well I suppose it is possible that the OJ had more pulp in it than usual.

Just to make sure I ran the B. C. S. through another straining bag, very fine as opposed to plain old fine, but only a tsp or two of pulp came out in the bag.

Here is a photo of the DJ.....

BlackCherryAndStrawberry-2010-01-21.jpg

All looking good.

Diesel1.

Hi all,

Here is the latest photo, it is developing a thick sediment. I suppose it may compact a bit.

BlackCherryAndStrawberry-2010-01-23.jpg

Diesel1.

Hi all,

I checked my brew log again to see if there was anything about the lumpy brew, "colloidal" is a great description Moley, anyway STUPID me :wha: had misread the log number and found it was actually apple and mango not orange!

It may be something in the mango pulp that caused the strange sediment.

Diesel1.

i`ve done a mango before that was a little lumpy!! Also an apricot from dried fruit which was the same - the apricot turned out great and the mango is clearing at the moment.

IMGP1526.jpg

the lumps are from the puree i think - i just syphoned it through a square of muslin cloth whern fermentation had finished and it was fine - looked a bit funky though :lol:

Holy sh!t, that looks revolting :sick:

I can honestly say that I've never had a DJ look anything like that :eek:

Still, if it strained out and turned out ok in the end :cheers:

Hi all,

Well the sediment is compacting nicely and it is definitely slowing down a lot now.
BlackCherryAndStrawberry-2010-01-28.jpg

I will take a G reading over the weekend for sure.

Diesel1.

rickthebrew said:
Moley said:
Holy sh!t, that looks revolting :sick:

:lol: doesn`t it!! Turned out crystal and tastey - great wine,

IMGP2007.jpg
IMGP2009.jpg

just cracked a bottle open to show you Moley :drink: :cheers:

Well here is a glass of the apple and mango...
AppleMango-2010-01-28-001.jpg

I think the mango is short for 'man go get me a drink'...as TOH said "Have I got any wine anywhere?' after me repeatedly being told "I don't want any wine today."

So I went in the garage and got her a glass of nowhere-near-clear apple and mango!

She said she really likes it and, yes, she wants me to make some more. :drunk:

All the best,

Diesel1.

Diesel1 said:

that sounds like the go ahead for a 12 DJ production line - and an AG brewery :party: think of the money you will save :lol:

rickthebrew said:
Diesel1 said:

that sounds like the go ahead for a 12 DJ production line - and an AG brewery :party: think of the money you will save :lol:

AG you say? The trouble with that is TOH will not drink beer and if I make wine and she drinks it then I can make anything I like and pretty much as many as I can fit in the nooks and crannies around the house.

Now on the other hand my cousin is a real AG fan, not that he brews ANY AG, and I think he may have quite a space in his newly re-modelled cellar! ......where is the phone.... :grin:

Diesel1.

Hi all,

Here is the latest twist in the B.C.S. I decided that it was almost done and as it was cold outside, -2, I decided to leave it outside all night and most of this morning.

I brought it in to leave it somewhere to rack it and this is how it looked:

BlackCherryAndStrawberry-2010-02-1.jpg

The second layer of sediment is the fine crystal kind you get on the last rack before bottling. I believe it is the pectin haze.

BlackCherryAndStrawberry-2010-02-01.jpg

I was amazed to see the airlock really start picking up again after 3 hours. Since it is going again I will leave it some more.

Diesel1.

Latest posts

Back