Black cherry and strawberry wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel1

Reaction score
Hi all,

After straining my cherries and strawberries (see this thread...http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6130 into a 5L PET bottle along with 2L white grape juice and 625g sugar in a boiled syrup. Also added 1 tsp yeast, 1 tsp glycerine.

Here is the brew...
cherry-1.jpg

TTFN,

Diesel1.

Looking good :thumb:

Try to keep that somewhere in the 18°C range to start with or you may have an indoor fountain.

I forgot to mention that it had an SG of 1094. It is slow to get going but time will sort that out.

Diesel1.

Black cherry and strawberry that sounds lush.

I have a weakness for that, I very often pick up a load of cheap fruit on its last legs from the fruit market to put 5 gallons on and then right at the last minute I boil up a couple of kilo of strawberries to add to it.

Makes me laugh I have 22 gallons of wine on the go at the moment and 19 gallons of it are rose as I keep adding strawberries.

Good luck with that Deisel.

bandit081 said:
Black cherry and strawberry that sounds lush.

I have a weakness for that, I very often pick up a load of cheap fruit on its last legs from the fruit market to put 5 gallons on and then right at the last minute I boil up a couple of kilo of strawberries to add to it.

Makes me laugh I have 22 gallons of wine on the go at the moment and 19 gallons of it are rose as I keep adding strawberries.

Good luck with that Deisel.

It smells like hubba bubba chewing gum now!

Morrisons have cherry toms on the seconds table at 19p for about 300g (about 40 punnets). Is cherry tomato wine good and how many would a gallon need?

At 60p a kilo or so it certainly would be worth trying a gallon.

I shall try to resist buying more stuff!

Diesel1.

I'll take it as a :nono: NOOOOO! :nono: on the toms then.

I think I'll stick to fruit for now. :cheers:

Diesel1.

If I recall correctly, tomatoes are only in CJJB's ‘doubtful’ list and not the ‘poisonous’ one.

However, I have never tried using them and probably never will.

Although we do have a bread maker, and even use it occasionally, I fail to see how this is relevant to Brewdays for Wine, Cider and more.

Stupid Ghent. :evil:

Hey wow! I just clicked on the red exclamation mark above and the forum software told me the post had already been reported.

That's bloody clever. :thumb:

Ok it has really got going nicely, a glug every second.

I also have an apple and mango (1L juice) and apple and blackberry (1L juice) with 2L red grape. I added too much :oops: sugar to OG 1138 and although it is bubbling in the brew the glugs are very, very slow. This is after two weeks, including some 15 degree temperatures.

The Youngs Super Yeast Compound must be stressed with the sugar. Should I substitue some boiled water for the brew?

Sorry for meandering from the topic but nobody seems to mind unless it is waaay off. And of course I will return to the black cherry and strawberry.

Diesel1.

OG 1138 (heading for 19% abv) is a bit high for a juice wine ;)
You could split the brew in half, add another litre of juice to each and top up with cooled boiled water, or you could leave it alone and see what you end up with. I think I would leave it, but try to find somewhere slightly warmer, those yeasties might surprise you.

Don't apologise for meandering, it's your topic.

I would also leave it - i did a rhubarb and orange wine last year and messed up how much sugar i added - my OG was around 1120 and it took a good while to get going decently,now its sat in the cupboard crystal clear in DJ`s ready for bottling later in the year :thumb:

rickthebrew said:
I would also leave it - i did a rhubarb and orange wine last year and messed up how much sugar i added - my OG was around 1120 and it took a good while to get going decently,now its sat in the cupboard crystal clear in DJ`s ready for bottling later in the year :thumb:

I will leave it for a week or two, if it doesn't pick up I will let the gravity down a bit with some H2O.

The black cherry and strawberry looks decidedly lumpy. I did a gallon of wurzel that looked similar after few days of fermenting and I ended up with only 3L from the gallon due to a mass of lumpy yeast and whatever else was there.

Could this happen with the B. C. S. and if so can I avoid this in future?

TTFN,

Diesel1.

Diesel1 said:
The black cherry and strawberry looks decidedly lumpy. I did a gallon of wurzel that looked similar after few days of fermenting and I ended up with only 3L from the gallon due to a mass of lumpy yeast and whatever else was there.

Could this happen with the B. C. S. and if so can I avoid this in future?
PATIENCE!

When the initial rush of fermentation has died down your jars should be topped up to the base of the neck. Many wines will have a light, fluffy sediment to start with. This will compact, given time. If you are leaving behind any more than 2cm of gunk on first racking you are probably doing it wrong. For a Wurzel there shouldn't be much more than 1cm.

Back