black sludge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fran

Reaction score
i made a 5l bottle of red grape and cranberry 3 days ago but had no airlock so i used a baloon wich i steralised and pricked holes in
today i opened it for a gravity reading and there was black sludge around the lid of the bottle and bung wich seals the drilled hole in the water bottle lid and there is a bad smell coming from the wine

do you think i have an infection in there

any help would be appreciated
thanks

Fermentation is basically a controlled rotting process, using an organism which gives a by-product which we happen to like. It can produce some very strange smells, and juice wines can throw up some disgusting looking muck floating on the top.

Give the jar a gentle swirl to sink the crust.

It's way too soon to condemn your brew.

PS: Buy some airlocks, they are cheap enough.

PPS: Leave it alone! Every time you poke it with a hydrometer is a prime opportunity for infection.

thanks moley :cheers:

its my first time brewing wine im doing a white kit and 3 recipes off here so i think it will be a good idea to buy two more airlocks or even 4 incase i get stuck in the fruit juice isle in sainsburys again :grin:

think i will take your advice and leave the hydrometer until i think it needs it

thanks again

Latest posts

Back