Blackberry Wine, what's your best recipe.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Spider

Reaction score
Last time we tried Blackberry wine was over 20 years ago, also tried Elderberry and Rosehip but never really had much success so ended up just sticking to kits.

Now we have 4kg of Blackberrys defrosting and were ready to give it another go, problem is there are so so many recipes out there it's difficult to know what's best especially as our previous attempts were not very palatable.

I found one that uses 2kg of berries and 1.5kg of sugar but aside from pectalose (and the yeast) there's no other ingredients, I figured I could do a double lot in a bucket for a week and then strain before splitting into two demijohns, does anyone have any suggestions for additional ingredients which would improve on the basic recipe.

You can make it as complicated or as simple as you like. I usually only put in 1.2kg of sugar and ferment out to dry (1.090-1.095 to 0.990 ish gives 13.5%). The only thing I always add is pectalose & nutrient. Sometimes I add any other fruit that I have in my freezer, Sloes, Elderberries, Blackcurrants. Sometimes Red Grape Concentrate. Sometimes Oak Chips.

I'd just go with the 2kg Blackberries and 1.2kg of sugar if you want it dry and a 1.4kg if you want it sweeter.

Niall

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. The recipe was 1.4kg of sugar I must have mistyped.

Think I'll cut down on the sugar and add some sultanas.

I have some on the go right now, 2.75kg of blackberries, 2.6kg sugar (to make 2 gallons), pectolase, yeast nutrient, OG 1.100, SG currently 0.996, currently bubbling every 45 secs or so after 2.5 weeks in demi johns.

I have a question actually, what do you use to top up a demi john of blackberry wine after racking? sugary water at the same ratio as the OG? shop bought blackberry juice? (if there is such a thing) or just leave it and accept i'll only get 10 or 11 bottles?

Topping up does 2 things - adjusts taste and dilutes the alcohol unless interested in extending fermentation of new sugars. Personal choice.

After straining from bucket into demijohn if I have a gap I top up with apple juice.

After I rack from one demijohn to another I top up with strong fruit tea.

Some good tips here.
I‘ve got a few kilos in the freezer now, as I have been picking a bag full in the mornings when walking the dogs. There’s so many around this year...but I’m not seeing many elderberries.
So, once my FV is free (5 gall Beaverdale kit on the go at the mo’), I’m going to try for 2 galls, not so sweet. I have bought some pure red grape juice from Asda, and will add this to give some nutrients and hopefully a bit of depth as I can’t find any elderberries.
Does anyone add any tannin if the6 don’t use elderberries?

Back