Boiler build.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe

Reaction score
Hi All i've just ordered a 60litre FV to constuct my boiler. I need to know which elements to use. I would like to use removable kettle leads if this is possible rather than hard wiring.

Which type are you thinking about using Joe, cheap supermarket kettle ones with leads from Homebase or are you think about Backer elements?
Good luck with the build :thumb:

I used Tesco elements and then picked up a couple of leads from our local elec shop...can't remember the price but I think around £5 each.
I've got them in 100lt pots and them work very well. :thumb:

MD came up with an idea for using supermarket kettle elements and plug in leads.
He used a piece of 2" down pipe in which he cut a (approximate) 6mm slot.
This enabled the pipe to be tightend round the extermal part of the element moulding and fixed with small cable ties.
I've used this method several times with great success, thanks Nick. :thumb:

with leads i presume you mean extension leads?

if anyone is close
i have a medium size box of kettle leads
and
another of 6 way belkin extension leads and probably some 4 way no name.

a couple of bottles of brew or equipment would relieve me of some ;)

im Manchester M31 area

evanvine said:
MD came up with an idea for using supermarket kettle elements and plug in leads.
He used a piece of 2" down pipe in which he cut a (approximate) 6mm slot.
This enabled the pipe to be tightend round the extermal part of the element moulding and fixed with small cable ties.
I've used this method several times with great success, thanks Nick. :thumb:

Do you have any pictures you could up load?
Cheers Joe

Sean_Mc said:
Which type are you thinking about using Joe, cheap supermarket kettle ones with leads from Homebase or are you think about Backer elements?
Good luck with the build :thumb:

Not sure yet, I'd ideally like to be able to pull the kettle leads out when i clean the boiler. Are the any elements that have the three pin socket on the back for a standard kettle lead?

Titch said:

if anyone is close
and

im Manchester M31 area

I mean pull out three pin kettle leads mate rather than hard wired

Tesco elements seem popular, I use Argos/Sainbury's ones and use THESE leads from homebase.
Hole in the boiler is 38mm :thumb:

Joe said:
Titch said:

if anyone is close
and

im Manchester M31 area

I mean pull out three pin kettle leads mate rather than hard wired

yeah i have the computer/kettle leads

i used to have a market stall selling computer stuff so have loads if there any use and you are close you are more than welcome to some.

was just saying i also have extention leads

offer is open to anyone btw

Titch said:
yeah i have the computer/kettle leads
i used to have a market stall selling computer stuff so have loads if there any use and you are close you are more than welcome to some.

DON'T USE COMPUTER LEADS

They're not rated for the current needed or the heat.

Sean_Mc said:
Tesco elements seem popular, I use Argos/Sainbury's ones and use THESE leads from homebase.
Do they plug straight into the back of the element's electrics or is there anything else i need? which argos/ sainsbury kettles do I need?

Joe said:
Sean_Mc said:
Do they plug straight into the back of the element's electrics or is there anything else i need? which argos/ sainsbury kettles do I need?

Usually the cheapest, I used tesco's value. If you pick the kettle up from the base it leaves a sticky up bit with three recesses for the contacts. If you peer through the hole in the bottom of the kettle. you will see they all basically use the same element, normally stamped with Strix. I don't think it makes much difference as the element in the ones I compaired all looked the same. I found the Tesco's one easy enough to strip down though.

Have a look at my how-to on the Tesco kettle (link in my sig) - you can get a hot-condition 3 pin euro plug from maplin that will fit over the element pins - I didn't do it that way, but that was solely to save cash.

Have to say that having the leads attached isn't as bad as you might think, but its obviously up to you :lol: :thumb:

Below is a Sainbury's one taken out of a kettle and reassembled, should cost about £5

DSCF0010.jpg

And below is one fitted with the switch part hacksawed off, but with the LED still attached, handy for seeing if the element is working on a rolling boil.

DSCF0012.jpg

HERES my build

Happy bodging :thumb:

Is that kettle lead going straight onto the back of the element or is there a hot condition socket in there.

Also would a corded kettle where the kettle lead goes straight into the actual kettle have more favorable connectors?

Excellent. I much prefer the idea of using push on kettle leads rather than soldering. I get hold of a couple of kettles. Is there anything else I should be aware of before starting the build?

I've just come across these. would they be suitable. I'd be getting the cables with the www.amazon.co.uk/Haden-Capacity-Plastic ... 429&sr=8-2

Last edited by a moderator:
38mm hole for elements
19mm hole for a tank connector

Make sure the kettle leads look like these
10m-iec-power-cable.jpg

Take you time, even the build is meant to be fun and its compulsory that you post a brewday with pics for your first brew :thumb:

Latest posts

Back